• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

are new A99's all a pos?

Rwb

tell the devil im gettin there as fast as i can,r
Jun 30, 2018
my old a 99 set up perfect swr for 11 meters.on 10 meters onder 1:6 to1. lightning killed it.got a new a 99 n cant get it under 1:5 to 1 on any band. new uf 400 grounded like old a 99.those 2 nuts to adjust swr are worthless very little change up or down.any suggestions besides cutting it up n making fishing poles ant tomater stakes out of it?

I believe there’s a lot written about them making it shorter and possibly because of the post office’s horse crap about shipping expense over 96” long. I think. I know shipping on 102’s is crazy stupid.

OR…. you knew it was coming…. maybe Yaesu built that A99 just for you?

Local shop in Morgantown WV says it costs 48.00 shipping on the box of 102 inch whips they get. Rwb, I am sure if you would call around someone may still have a Solarcon made A99 in their shop. Or, find the Firestik to section they made for the A99. The Fire Up-99. I am sure FU-99 is not the model, but it sounds appropriate. The Firestick top section has the Firestik II brass adjustment screw. I had use one last time I put up an A((. I never touched the tuning rings, just the Firstik screw. Al at Sparky's sold it to me that's how long ago that was.

Reactions: Rwb and Eldorado828
images

New from Muppet Labs the 10 meter CB antenna.
Now resonant at a higher frequency that CB radio for increased audio compression.

Reactions: Rwb and Handy Andy
Rwb if the A99 is shorter, read this thread about the Solarcon Imax2000

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/new-imax-wont-tune-11m-this-sucks.228884/page-25#post-764638

At the risk of someone thinking I’m insulting them, some people don’t know that the tuning rings stay together…they are basically jam nuts to hold the rings in place so they don’t move. I’ve seen postings where people moved one up and the other one down…INCORRECT…they lock against each other once optimal swr has been achieved.

Basically the thread referenced above a 10 inch Wilson riser was added. The results are detailed by me another forum member(lonestarbandit) who did the same thing

Last edited:
I know the Imax is shorter and never heard anything about the A99. But If I recall correctly someone told me the ProCom A99 is now a good antenna.

Reactions: Rwb
Rwb, since you have your old A99 you could measure it verses the length of the new A99. I have a new 5 inch Wilson riser and all the necessary hardware you would need if your interested in experimenting to get an idea if your SWR improves by adding a 5 inch riser. Let me know.

Brad

Last edited:
I bought a antron 99 off eBay last year and I have never had a problem with mine,never had to adjust the rings on it, swr on 1 and 40 was I believe flat 1 to 1.2!!! Hope this helps.........

Steve

i got both nuts snugged up together. up or down its bad. the top section is same lenght as the old a 99. im thinking its got internal problems need to get my friend bring his pricy antenna anylizer n check it out. the coax is fine too. im thinking i ended up with a bad antenna

i got both nuts snugged up together. up or down its bad. the top section is same lenght as the old a 99. im thinking its got internal problems need to get my friend bring his pricy antenna anylizer n check it out. the coax is fine too. im thinking i ended up with a bad antenna

Maybe so. If that’s the case, how hard is it gonna be to convince where you got it and get them to swap it out?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.