1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Philippine radios special?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by bigcountry78, Jan 14, 2017.

1. psycho

psycho Running a special on our rooms!

I believe Superhawk on ebay can set you up with a "seller refurbished" one for $750 plus $100 shipping.

2. psycho

psycho Running a special on our rooms!

I own all three and the only problem I had after obtaining these NOS radios was that the Taiwan models are the oldest and I needed to recap it since the speaker was blowing due to DC getting to the speaker.....so I replaced all the electrolytic caps. They all perform the same from my experience.
    The Taiwan Cobra 25, 29 radios are the best AM Cobra radios.

3. Onelasttime

Onelasttime Well-Known Member

It was the last time they where worth owning from a durability, quality control and design stand point. Each move made by Uniden was one more step down in quality to reduce production cost and maximize profits! So nothing magical. The Cobra's made in Japan and Taiwan where the finest ones ever made. I own a Uniden made in Philippines it is almost as good as the Japan built ones just smaller components especially the resistors. That is just my $.02!

4. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Sr. Member

This is the way I understood it, the older ones were considered better and the Philippines radios were considered the last of the good ones. It was after leaving the Philippines that the decline began but they weren't any better than those that came before, the point where they left the Philippines could be considered the tipping point.

Personally I've had good luck with all the older ones.

5. Oatmeal

Oatmeal Active Member

I have a Cobra 148gtl here that was built in the Philippines, back in 1989, it is in good shape, 1st one I have owned in this good of shape, like this one, have owned a few Cobra radios old like this one and traded them off.....are they better than the ones built today, think mostly the quality parts used in radios back then is what people looks at, and they take about any mod you would want to use in one, but the one I have it needs looked at...

That Uniden someone has that's old, I'd have it fixed, there a good sounding radio on the airways ...

Me, I prefer the old school radios myself...

6. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

... and if ya got real lucky, it came with a hand painted bottle of San Magoo.

o... Anong Surap!

#21 Road Squawker, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Sr. Member

You would have known if you were around 30 years ago. Not so much today.
    [​IMG]

S&W357 and NZ8N like this.
  8. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Of course they are special, built by the hands of Virgin Temple Dancers.

TM86, Chevboy0167, S&W357 and 3 others like this.
  9. kaos513

kaos513 Sr. Member

I say phillipine & tiawan radios where good back in the days

RT431 likes this.
  10. S&W357

S&W357 WDX-556 Supporting Member Space For Rent

Now that right there is funny!

Tallman likes this.
  11. Staybolt

Staybolt Well-Known Member

I have a "philly" 2000 gtl.

BBB likes this.
  12. Staybolt

Staybolt Well-Known Member

Ill take a philly built radio any day. They just talk and work better.

13. Straightshooter58

the older stuff from PI worked great...the newer black box stuff.not so good..

14. 6meter

6meter Well-Known Member

Interesting topic. I was aware that production shifted between countries and also that there were different version of radios like the Madison and Grant.

So I checked some radios I have and they were produced all over the place. My Cobra 148GTL was made in the Philippines. So then I checked some other radios sitting on a shelf and a Uniden Grant doesn't list a country on the serial / FCC badge. A Robyn SB520D was made in Japan.

Also looked at a couple of 10 meter radios. A pair of HTX-10's were made in the Philippines. While an earlier HTX-100 doesn't show a country.