1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Are Philippine radios special?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by bigcountry78, Jan 14, 2017.

1. bigcountry78

bigcountry78 Member

I've always read that radios built in the Philippines are a little better, and have a better sound than other radios. How true is this? I just came across a uniden pc66xl in my shop that was made in the Philippines. Just wondering if it's worth getting it repaired.

2. Robb

Robb Yup

Ummm . . . Thicker board traces and better QC in its day.
    Re-cap, clean, and adjust. Should be a winnah!

NZ8N, kaos513, rabbiporkchop and 2 others like this.
  3. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

i have been told the Philippines radios are better. cant confirm this.

4. BBB

BBB Well-Known Member

Yes. Made in the Uniden Factory = Better QC

NZ8N, rabbiporkchop and LeapFrog like this.
  5. bigcountry78

bigcountry78 Member

Sounds like I should get it running then. Last time I hooked it up it wouldn't transmit or receive. Probably not anything major. I'll have to pick up a power cord and a. Bracket for it.

6. Klondike Mike

Klondike Mike Well-Known Member

Sounds like a typical eBay listing. Wait until you get the bill.

kaos513 and bigcountry78 like this.
  7. Singularity35

Singularity35 DU7DVE

I never even knew there were transcievers made in the Philippines..

8. 222DBFL

222DBFL Sr. Member

Try a different or new mic first. Could me a broken wire or connection.

9. fourstringburn

fourstringburn W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM

To me, This has to be the finest in Philippine manufactured radios...

[​IMG]

Hurricane95 and worldwidejack like this.
  10. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

More than one manufacturer has a factory in the Philippines. The Uniden factory had a reputation for the best quality-control in the business when they moved CB production out of Taiwan late 1989 or so. That level of QC was what made Cobra's reputation in that era. Cobra was just another name badge applied to Uniden-made radios from the 1970s until Cobra's management acquired the company in a leveraged buyout in the early 90s. To pay back the loans they took out to buy the company they dropped high-cost/high-quality supplier Uniden and hired low bidders to make their radios after that. Took the market a while to notice the reduced quality, while they continued to get the high prcies their reputation allowed them to. A reputation that was based on Uniden's quality level. The Taiwan radios were built pretty much just as well, but they are older. I suspect that age issues have more to do with what makes the Philippines-made Uniden stuff legendary than just the factory's QC record.

Uniden supplied CBs to Robyn, Teaberry, Midland, RatShack and others. Far as I know, the build quality on radios with those name badges were as good as the ones they sold to Cobra.

A Philippine-made Uniden radio is "special" because of high production-quality standards, and because newer is usually better than older.

Staybolt, NZ8N, Oatmeal and 1 other person like this.
  11. Robb

Robb Yup

Last time I got into a Uniden AM/only radio to align it, it was already spot-on. Same for a Grant XL a couple of years before that. Seems to me that Uniden is still keeping their factory alignments on par - consistently.
    JMHO

NZ8N and Tallman like this.
  12. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

I worked in a corporate(Motorola) manufacturing facility for the best radios made in the USA back in the day. Q.C. standards were the highest I had seen until I got into the Military Equipment Company.(Tracor). Most of the units made in Malaysia or the Philippines are top notch quality.

NZ8N and rob5 like this.
  13. psycho

psycho Running a special on our rooms!

Radios made in the Philippines are no better than Malaysian and Taiwan made radios.
    I guess the 10 year old children assembling them did fine but the Chinese children seem to make crappy radios.

14. BBB

BBB Well-Known Member

As a collector in the hobby at the time, it was fun to search out the "Philly" (Philippines) made Cobra CBs. Got a "Philly" made Cobra 25, 29 and 148. Still missing the "Philly" made Cobra 2K GTL in the collection.

15. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

well i for one never saw any Uniden radios with better quality than the ones made in Taiwan back in the 70's.

i don't bother to debate this with anyone anymore, as everyone seems to have their preference, and they are all good radios.

I like Taiwan radios the best myself, if for no other reason than that's when CB was state of the art, had the most money invested in it, and the quality really mattered because no one yet knew just how crappy they could be made and still work.
    LC

Mudfoot, NZ8N and red97k1500 like this.