• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ARRL is Loosing my Membership/If passed!

People that are against this make some good points and I agree with a lot of them. Some of them are just looking for something to complain about.

I'm not necessarily for this but after reading through the thread about this on qrz I think there are a considerable number of older ops that feel they own a frequency or part of the band and its being taken from them. Many of them wouldnt be on the air if ham appliances and premade antennas didn't exist. They memorized the answers too but don't want anyone to get anything easier than them. Anyone with more power or nicer equipment than them is stupid for wasting money. They find the negative in everything.

This reminds me of people that will continuously monitor a frequency just so they can tell people its in use until the rest of their group gets on the air. Ive heard one guy scold people for having a qso 2kc below his group and jam them. The guys he is jamming were there first but they were too close to his frequency.

Since they just give licenses away these days go get your extra class and utilize the band space that we have....or everyone cram into the general portion of the band and fight like cbers.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
The Numbers:
This petition would grant (380,000) present license holders of the US Technician Class (as of 4.7.2018) these privileges...
50% of the US General Class Phone Band on 80 meters
60% of the US General Class Phone Band on 40 meters
67% of the US General Class Phone Band on 15 meters
The Technician class numbers have grown almost 3% since the Petition was filed. How many more will be added before this is possibly enacted?
The present figures now have the US Technician Class Licencees holding almost 51% of the TOTAL US License's.
The ARRL has seen this, thus now they are requesting Public Comment be accepted by the FCC on this proposal. They have thus swayed the balance of License Holders to be Granted these privileges instantly in their majority favor.
One can not deny they are trying to manipulate the comments percentage in favor of their proposal.
Now granted, I am not totally opposed to all the changes this proposal would bring.
The Digital privileges on the bands specified, I think are quite acceptable.
The new advancements in software and the number of transceivers all ready capable of operating these modes with little or no additional equipment is growing rapidly.
The manufactures already are producing most of the new HF transceivers "Digital" ready.
I do think it ridiculous to think that some of those instantly granted these privileges are going to adhere to the 200 watt PEP power limit. One has only to listen and see that rule has already been disregarded by many Technician Class operators in the 10 meter (28.300-28.500 MHz) operating section. This being just an observation, does anyone really think this will not happen in all the bands to be allocated.
The 200 watt PEP limit on 80/40 meters only invites more abuse of this privilege given the present and, to continue poor band conditions.
Those of you that do not find this "Fascinating" are kidding yourself...Hmm...manufacturers will sell more equipment and in greater numbers, then possibly ever in resent history.
One must wonder who is ultimately "Lobbying" this proposal in reality.
One can not deny also that ARRL membership stands to possibly jump in record numbers, by operators who have been instantly granted these additional privileges.
I am just wondering why the ARRL has seen it fit to further degrade the significance of the US General Class Operating License with this amount of new operators, without consideration of the others all ready allocated for these sections of the bands, regardless of when we were granted these privileges.
I guess I should look at the numbers myself.
We are a minority, much the same as the Advance Class and Novice operators now holding US licenses, therefore we are an insignificant number.
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

I agree. There is a money trail here. I'm not an ARRL member and never will be so maybe that's why I'm not in an uproar about this. As soon as I got licensed they started sending me membership offers asking for my money. They all go in the shredder.

So many technicians are inactive or content on vhu/uhf I wonder how many of them even know or care about this petition. There were 3 qrz threads that turned into fist fights about why all of these techs are inactive. They never got to the bottom of it. :LOL:

I agree...edit.... I'm not an ARRL member and never will be so maybe that's why I'm not in an uproar about this. .. :LOL:

...and yet, the ARRL has the balls to tell CONGRESS that they represent YOU!

How does it feel to have someone that doesn't listen representing YOU?

...and yet, the ARRL has the balls to tell CONGRESS that they represent YOU!

How does it feel to have someone that doesn't listen representing YOU?

I see your point but it is what it is. People think with their wallets. If members aren't happy with what the ARRL is doing they should start canceling memberships now.

Don't give them time to go through Congress and possibly make a change that you're against as it will probably be permanent. Now is the time to get their attention. Even if this petition is a bust why would anyone continue to support an organization that doesn't represent them?

Why such negativity. Let them get a taste of HF and they can move up to the General and Extra license. I would rather see more operators VS less operators. Those interested will learn more on their own. Otherwise whats the point? empty bands because no fresh blood entering the mix. if someone enjoys electronics and radio-communications they are not going to stop learning or growing with the hobby because of some test.

Reactions: n8fgb
I agree with CK 100%, HF is not on the radar of commercial comms and I have 0% fear of it ever going away.

The real issue is the increasing noise floor on HF with all the unintentional radiator noise mucking up the spectrum. And every new housing development governed by fascist HOAs making it illegal to put up an antenna greater than 8 inches.

Why such negativity. Let them get a taste of HF and they can move up to the General and Extra license. I would rather see more operators VS less operators. Those interested will learn more on their own. Otherwise whats the point? empty bands because no fresh blood entering the mix. if someone enjoys electronics and radio-communications they are not going to stop learning or growing with the hobby because of some test.

They already have access to HF as long as they use CW. What's wrong with getting their feet wet on HF with that and then actually earning new privileges?

Reactions: Road Squawker
Dont worry guys, your not going to see any new folks coming in and crashing the party.

Dont want to see the bands dirtied up people who passed a dumbed down test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes 14.313 and 14.275 are a mess. We don't need constant reminders of that nor video/sound clips to prove it. A couple of those same links have been removed several times here. Nobody needs to hear the vulgarity in them especially from the VE7 idiot. It seems you like to push the envelope a bit what with the amateur radio export radio comments and several other things you have said/posted. Well now it's my turn to push back. Life goes on......

Reactions: BJ radionut
BRAVO CK!...only take abt 10 minutes to fill 10 vids worth on the ch.1-40 crowd...but not worth the effort or time

We all know what goes on on the air. Those videos almost always lead to yet ANOTHER them versus us thread and I/we are tired of that so I decided to be proactive in hopes I don't have to be reactive.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.