• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ARRL is Loosing my Membership/If passed!

Can't avoid how much this sounds like the same debate around eliminating the code requirement, arguments, objections and all. Hasn't been quite long enough to forget.

Yet.

Not to criticize, just observe. Consider for a moment that more activity on our frequencies is better than less activity.

If we populate the bands in an active way that can be measured, it serves to justify the gazillions of dollars' worth of spectrum we enjoy for free. "See, we're really USING it!"

I would worry less about manufacturer's 'bribing' the ARRL to expand operating privileges and worry more about who will bribe the FCC to yank our spectrum forever. With few exceptions, when a chunk of it gets repurposed for the "greater good" we never get it back.

i am in florida,,, and this is what i see down here,, the bands are getting quiet because of the ones that were using them are dying off or having to sell off their rigs to move in homes,,,arrl sees that if the bands go quiet it will be another event like the 11 meter band loss to cbers,, the 222 band loss to commercial interest,,, look the government/fcc made billions moving the tv freqs around and would not stop at doing same to what we have now,,,,,

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I don't feel so bad now. Not only do ham ops turn their nose up on 11m ops but other hams as well.
I would think that anyone holding their ticket would be happy to see more on frequencies they use. I still plan on getting my ticket but if I hear a station talking like this, I will find another frequency. The troublemakers and the arrogant are both equally annoying to me.

Reactions: PoDuck
i am in florida,,, and this is what i see down here,, the bands are getting quiet because of the ones that were using them are dying off or having to sell off their rigs to move in homes,,,arrl sees that if the bands go quiet it will be another event like the 11 meter band loss to cbers,, the 222 band loss to commercial interest,,, look the government/fcc made billions moving the tv freqs around and would not stop at doing same to what we have now,,,,,

The HF bands are pretty useless for commercial users with internet and satellite comms being what they are. The v/uhf bands the fcc realigned were valuable for data and pcs. Completely different thing than HF.

I don't feel so bad now. Not only do ham ops turn their nose up on 11m ops but other hams as well.
I would think that anyone holding their ticket would be happy to see more on frequencies they use. I still plan on getting my ticket but if I hear a station talking like this, I will find another frequency. The troublemakers and the arrogant are both equally annoying to me.

Of course existing ticket holders would be thrilled to get something for nothing. Whatever happened to earning something? Existing techs CAN usemore HF Freqs. NOW if they learned CW but that would involve some effort. I am all for quality of operators on tbe bands not quantity. 11m has quantity.

I think that getting your ticket is a privilege and I am working on getting mine. I am 46 and I know a lot of people, but I don't personally know any hams. My grandfather was a ham and made his own radios in the beginning of the last century. Even though he died when I was very young, I still feel a strong connection to him and I am proud to follow in his foot steps. It is sort of a proud nostalgia that I feel. I don't know what draws others to this hobby and the younger generations are wired completely different. If you look at this hobby in the past 10 years, I wonder where it will be in the next ten years?

Sorry for my rambling. (Fourth cup of coffee)

even 11 meters is quite most of the time I have a bunch of money in radios. I would like to get my ticket I just don't have the time

It's not that I am turning my nose up at other hams but that there should be some incentive for upgrading. I was licensed in 1990 and stayed a technician class until 2013 when I finally got off my ass and studied. Giving tech class more hf space lessons the incentive to upgrade and learn more. I am all for the argument that it would be nice to have more ops on the band.

I think that getting your ticket is a privilege and I am working on getting mine. I am 46 and I know a lot of people, but I don't personally know any hams. My grandfather was a ham and made his own radios in the beginning of the last century. Even though he died when I was very young, I still feel a strong connection to him and I am proud to follow in his foot steps. It is sort of a proud nostalgia that I feel. I don't know what draws others to this hobby and the younger generations are wired completely different. If you look at this hobby in the past 10 years, I wonder where it will be in the next ten years?

Sorry for my rambling. (Fourth cup of coffee)

Your grandfather was a ham back when you had to know things. You didn't have ham radio stores that sold radios, amps and pre made dipoles. Plenty of people that had to know morse code to get licensed couldn't have set up a decent station back then. Many of them learned code well enough to squeak by the test and never used it again. What matters most is what you do with the licence once you have it.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
It's not that I am turning my nose up at other hams but that there should be some incentive for upgrading. I was licensed in 1990 and stayed a technician class until 2013 when I finally got off my ass and studied. Giving tech class more hf space lessons the incentive to upgrade and learn more. I am all for the argument that it would be nice to have more ops on the band.

Would this not give you more incentive to upgrade? My first reaction to this was negative but if it increases activity and pushes more people into the advanced and extra portions of the bands I'm all for it. Everyone seems to cram into the general portion of the HF bands and complain about the guys guys they parked too close to. No one wants to go below the general portion because the majority of the group only have a general class licence.

Of course existing ticket holders would be thrilled to get something for nothing. Whatever happened to earning something? Existing techs CAN usemore HF Freqs. NOW if they learned CW but that would involve some effort. I am all for quality of operators on tbe bands not quantity. 11m has quantity.
observation here is no one learns the code and the ones that did dont apply like they learned it,, what i am getting to is they have gone to using machines to do their code,,,, typing a keyboard is the thing here now,, dont let them old geezers that yell and scream ya gotta learn the code then if ya visit their station ya notice they have a keyboard and screen set up to their rig,,,,, and a code program going,,,,

Reactions: riverrat373
some of yall mention upgrade,,,, why havent i upgraded?,,, well after the few times that i was beat into the ground for trying 10 meters and being a "no coder" i just lost interest in going to any other bands,,, i have done machine code where i am allowed on the hf bands but as for upgrading and getting with the snobby part of it no way things would really have to change,,, and as the old geezers die off i expect it to change,,,, and yes i agree on one thing about the testing if ya got some of these old generals and advanced classes from 30 years ago or later
to take test that is being used now they would fail them,,,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.