• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ask first!

redbeast

Aug 14, 2016
Ok, "stupid is as stupid does"; need to check the plug wiring on an old turner.....no screw in barrel, and for the life of me can't remember how to get steel barrel off plastic end, thought it unscrewed, but don't want to break it first, then ask. Any help?

Should be a tiny set screw in the plastic housing. Remove it, then unscrew the housing.

Brett
In the plastic housing???? Ok, I'll check....just to clarify, the only plastic is where the pins go through, the barrel with the screw on retainer is steel. The only screws on this plug are for the cord retainer/strain relief. But I'll look again. Thanks for the get back Brett!

Sorry, the screw goes from the metal through the plastic housing. Really small and easy to miss seeing it. (At least for me).

Yes sir, I forgot there are two main styles. Good pic!

Brett
Yup, I've taken those apart a lot, most will have a small tab and slot that you turn about 1/16th turn after the set screw is out. But this barrel doesn't have a set screw at all, just the two screws for strain relief. I've seen these before in the "old days",and know there's a way, but caan't remember how I did it.....didn't want to grab the plastic with pliers to see if it just unscrewed in case I broke it. Yeah, good pic CK, but the only thing I don't have is the set screw.

0712170900c.jpg 0712170900.jpg 0712170900c.jpg Ok, here they are. Just know I have done these before, but just can't remember...and don't want to ruin it.Need to check pin connections, this mics been on my cobras for at least 30 yrs.

Attachments

• 0712170859.jpg
    0712170859.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 0712170859a.jpg
    0712170859a.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 12
  • 0712170900a.jpg
    0712170900a.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 12
Hold the connector with the black part of the connector pointed down and then look around for a small Philips head screw. Your photos did a good job hiding it. The threaded collar was hiding it. Take it out then take the cable clamp off of the back side and it should come apart.

Hold the connector with the black part of the connector pointed down and then look around for a small Philips head screw. Your photos did a good job hiding it. The threaded collar was hiding it. Take it out then take the cable clamp off of the back side and it should come apart.
Tallman say, redbeast do. Bud, there just ain't nuthin' there. I know it's soundin' stupid, but it's true. Any screw would have to be MICROSCOPIC, there's a bunch of tiny pits from corrosion over the years, but that is it. Even scraped it down with my knife blade to make sure it wasn't worn in, but the chances of that are nil. I just know it will be something stupid, not the first mic I've fixed, but oh well. I remind myself there are no stupid questions. FWIW- letters on the plastic read AUN, or ALIN...... which. Just know I am going to get my ass kicked here soon!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.