• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ASTROPLANE best vertical antenna ever?

It is a good choice. No doubt. But at that height above the ground I think a 1/4 GP would have been equally good, and easier to carry up the tree if the radials were attached after climbing up into the tree. Thinner package to get up there.
Don't fall down.

It is a good choice. No doubt. But at that height above the ground I think a 1/4 GP would have been equally good, and easier to carry up the tree if the radials were attached after climbing up into the tree. Thinner package to get up there.
Don't fall down.
For the longest time I had an original Astroplane in a pine tree. I actually brought it up with the hoop off and assembled the hoop around the tree. So the antenna was actually in the tree and not above. Had a mast coming down lagged into the tree with Stainless. Worked great with perfect swr. I have since taken it down but it worked great and wind did not do a thing to it.

For the longest time I had an original Astroplane in a pine tree. I actually brought it up with the hoop off and assembled the hoop around the tree. So the antenna was actually in the tree and not above. Had a mast coming down lagged into the tree with Stainless. Worked great with perfect swr. I have since taken it down but it worked great and wind did not do a thing to it.
Question, if you had it up and it worked perfectly why did you take it down? Find something better?

Question, if you had it up and it worked perfectly why did you take it down? Find something better?
No, circumstances changed and antenna had to come down. Better is very subjective. In the 80s I had it up on a telephone pole and it couldn't be touched. There is bigger. But better? All depends on what you are after.

Yes you can get them through a Spanish website. Forgot the name but it was in stock last week. I’m a big fan of those Astroplane + they are pre tuned. No need to fiddle w

Yes you can get them through a Spanish website. Forgot the name but it was in stock last week. I’m a big fan of those Astroplane + they are pre tuned. No need to fiddle with SWR
It is a clone of the Astroplane and its a Tagra BT-101

Here we again
That’s correct

That’s correct
Here we are again, The Astroplane,
Now that it has finally warmed up way up here in the PNW I have a tree climber that is ready to climb up and mount my antenna. I have been reading about using
baluns. Now not being a antenna or RF engineer I have to ask questions here for advice. Should i use one? and if so what type? I was looking at using the "ugly balun" but again i am not sure if is needed or should be used? Or is there a better
type to use? I await your smart words of advice.

Yes you can get them through a Spanish website. Forgot the name but it was in stock last week. I’m a big fan of those Astroplane + they are pre tuned. No need to fiddle with SWR
you get them from mr.coily now same design justbeefed up and i think unlimited power handling

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated