• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

At this point in time - Antenna experiences so far

Homer, NB, just gave us his report on his antenna testing only one contact, and it indicated a rather large difference among the CB antennas he tested, a difference greater than 2.5 Sunits. That is a lot of difference for me, and I have never experience that much difference in signals at one time between any of the CB vertical antennas I own. Is this the kind of differences you typically might see Homer, assuming all the antenna's are working well and they're close to the same height?
I think those were large differences between the least and the greatest, too.
Nope, I have no pre-determined expectations for folks results. I haven't seen those kinds of differences here, but I haven't really focused on that as much as on whether the antennas I build work well, or better than what I had done before. Because I have more interest in DX, I look for superior performance over an extended period of time. The most consistent local radio work here is all within 15 miles, and a little occasionally further out. Folks are not doing much radio during the outdoor weather season.
I don't do a lot testing using TX signals, and maybe if I did I would see some differences that I don't see with testing RX signals only. I say this in spite of the fact most consider antennas are reciprocal in nature. In your initial remarks you suggest that capture area is what makes the difference in the results that you and NB see. I disagree that capture area is the real factor here, albeit is probably something to consider and maybe even measure under a lab control setting.
Nope, again. In fact, I think capture area is often not a factor at all. There is much more to antenna performance than that, in my opinion. For instance, a 1/4 GP actually has more physical area than a 1/2 dipole or A99, yet it is generally accepted that it has less gain.
What I failed to make clear, apparently, is that I drew the opening of this thread from another forum that was discussing the StarDuster. In that thread a member referred to the capture area in a way that clearly set it, in his opinion, as the most significant factor in antenna performance. I was simply saying I accepted completely the general principal of capture area, yet I went on to say it had not proven up as a solid inviolable fact in my experiences with all sized antennas.
For years I have heard such claims about capture area making the difference, and just thinking and visualizing on the idea, common sense might suggest the idea has merit.

However due to my personal experience working with numerous antennas at the same location and time in most cases, I've wondered how a real test of this capture area idea would work out...were it possible.

In my opinion, if it is about capture area to such a great degree, then we might have to ignore the subject of gain as being of major significance other than how it relates to size of the antenna. We know gain does generally increase with size, but only up to a point. It is much more tied to the matter of design, which mechanical style is capable of putting the signal into a preferred direction while preventing it going in other directions. At least this is my understanding. We can see that capture area means less when we start raising a smaller antenna up higher than a larger. The reason why some whine about the unfairness of comparing antenna performances by making the tops of the antennas. Doing this begins to reduce the significance of size on the results.

I've wondered if there was some way we could take out the natural advantage that taller antennas have over the smaller designed antennas, due to increased height, because a capture area advantage, if it is an advantage, should be evident at any height.

Then I remembered an article, along time ago, discussing testing of antennas on a standardize RF test range. Much of the work was beyond my understanding, but I took away one unforgettable fact about the method and procedures of testing used by this test range. They used a rota-table platform as the test center, and they laid the antennas down flat to test. The stated purpose being...to eliminate height and it's effect on maximum gain angles as a factor in the comparisons.
If there is a way, it is likely beyond the ability of a homebrewer like me.
I'm not sure, but I think your idea here is to exclude modeling examples from this thread and go mainly by anecdotal accounts, but I don't know how we could test the affects of capture area without considering models or what modeling might show. Modeling would not produce iron clad results that fully answer the questions, but it could be informative along with the results from other's that hopefully are participating with their real world testing. iMO, most would heartily disagree with comparing antennas of different lengths with their tip heights at the same height, or their maximum current nodes at the same height, so there is a bias advantage for the longer antenna going in, if we are to consider capture area differences. So what can we do to get around this bias?
I have not meant to exclude modeling, but in fact, agree with what you just said about its relevance to this kind of discussion. I was simply making it clear that I wished for a thread that gave an equal hearing for anecdotal information as it would to modeling, or other scientific materials. In fact, I hoped that anecdote would set the tone, and that discovery by means of trying to figure out why one might have seen the results they had rather than folks just shouting ' there's no way because of so-and-so" when someone has just stated they they had.
Off topic, but as an example, I've read one several threads that it isn't possible to get extra channels from a Uniden Pro510, yet I owned one that had them a few years ago, and saw and spoke to folks on those lower channels who were also using the 510. I know this isn't either antenna thory or science, but it does serve to show that sometimes we don't know what we think we do because of a predisposition or bias.
IMO, when folks start talking about the differences, this or that makes, I'm provoked to ask the simple question, how much difference are we talking about?

So Homer, without holding you accountable for NB's numbers, are you suggesting that it is capture area that is responsible for the advantages his report shows?
Nope. I don't know why he sees what he does. What I said was that his numbers are more like what others report for their experiences than for what I, fr instance, see with my Astroplane,or you do with some of your antennas.
I think not to be including modeling in this discussion is like leaving the wheat flour out of your bread, so I'll ask this question:

If I modeled each of these antennas laid down on their sides at 36' above the Earth, could this be a fair test for comparing the capture area?

.25 wave GP,
.50 wave end feed,
.625 wave,
.64 wave,

How do you think these four will rank regarding gain and angle in this position?
Go ahead and model them and serve up the results. DO it sideways and see. Do it upright, too. And when you are done try to figure out why people see differences in their antenna experiences.

As a matter of fact, at least two or three users of the GM on some of the British forums have pt up the antenna to turn around and take it down offering it up for sale because they saw better results from other antennas at their QTH. I believe one of them I read was putting his A99 back up!!!

Are they lying? I think not when you're shelling out nearly $200 for the GM. Something significant is afoot with the very real differences folks see, and saying "science so it can't be so" is becoming a convenient scapegoat for those who have no imagination.

One of these days I'd like to see someone post the results of their optimum tuned V4k tested with an analyzer. What will it look like? My homebrew Sigma4 looked like a doo-doo sandwich on the analyzer. I know the Qv4k had this quirky undulating SWR curve on the SWR meter that I never could tune out, but it worked quite well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Does width not also affect capture area?

The DB

DB, are you talking about wire diameter?

If so, I would imagine that the diameter differences, being so small of a measurement relative to the wavelength, it would probably wouldn't matter, even if we were able to measure capture area somehow.

Some scientists could probably figure out a way to measure the capture area using math, but would the differences make any difference just operating your radio system?

I know a thicker element affects bandwidth.

Homer, if we accepted your capture area idea as one of the primary conditions for improving gain, then we would probably only see very long thin wire antennas in use. Capture area and bandwidth are compromizes, not antenna characteristics perse.

Some folks around do run long thin antennas for similar reasons, so you may be in good company with the idea.

However, consider the possible contridiction with guys trying to minize common mode currents from working in excess on their antenna feed line. IMO, they are in affect minizing the capture area if they are successful.

Only with my modeling do I think I'm able to see sometimes where such CMC's issues can be benificial in how well the antenna works, and in other cases the effects are more detrimental. So, we can take our pick.

Some folks, like the guys at Solarcon and others maybe, will suggest to you that having the feed line radiating right along with the antenna is a good thing however.

Looks like nobody is willing to speculate on the result possibilities I asked about. What does that tell us?

I seem to be having difficulty being clear. I'll try.

I believe there is some merit to capture area in general, but it isn't all there is.
I don't think element thickness as in thin or thick wires/tubes represent the discussion of capture area. I simply said thicker elements affect bandwidth in response to a question about width as that is the only width with consequences I could think of. When I think of capture area I think of differences as in overall physical sizes, ie 1/4ƛ, 1/2ƛ, 5/8ƛ, 7/8ƛ, or significant differences between the sizes of mobile vs base antennas. I could be wrong.

Maybe someone will be interested in defining the parameters of a test that eliminates the inherent advantages of larger antennas in the real world, but not likely.
In the time I've been here the debate over the right and wrong way to test/model/compare, and to drink from a cup have been debated to the point that we all know everyone else who does not hold our exact point of view are undoubtedly escapees from the local mental asylum. ;) Some think it has already been discussed . . .

Do the laying down models and see if it makes a difference.

Then we can still read what folks are actually experiencing with their antenna systems as they are running them at their QTH.

One thing I do suspect, all the trying this and/or that GP arrangement, and this or that height, and this and that tuning network that you and I went through with the EFHW I made has resulted in giving me a little antenna that seems to perform better than either my previous A99s, or this one before experimentation.

So, I think enough tinkering and fine tuning and adjusting, and tuning some more can make a difference in an antenna set up from the box and the same with a patient dialing in over and again at the same location. Unfortunately, most folks want something that is so simple from the box that there is no possibility for any fine tuning. Without the 259b I couldn't have done it. These things take time, and tools. An antenna lacking movable components would likely not lend itself to finer tuning, buy and fly types like Imax2k, A99, GM, - tuned from the factory types.

I look forward to future fun and frustration with these things.

With permission I am posting this forum entry from another source:

Super Nasty said:
These are just a few casual observations I noticed and had posted in some other forums about my Sirio Gainmaster in comparison to a few other antennas for anybody's interest. The finish of the high gloss white fibreglass was smooth and the hardware was good quality I thought, certainly better than any other antenna I have had, It took 4 times as long to build as an Imax to put together, but I was in no hurry. The red coax coil on the bottom of the GM will loose it's nice bright red color and will go pink very quickly, cover it with tape if your going to sell the antenna later, not that it would effect anything - just that it will look nicer in it's original bright red color.

Initially the Sirio Gainmaster was mounted above my balcony and about 4 ft from the side of the roof, I was plagued with RF feedback in this position, the Imax at the same position strangely enough had a lot less RF feedback, which is strange considering the GM has a coax choke at the base and the Imax was simply directly connected with the RG213.

With the antenna re mounted in another position RF feedback is gone. I have noted that my Gainmaster had slightly lower RX than my other vertical antennas, just a notch behind my Imax 2000 which was mounted without radials at the same height with the same coax, my Gainmaster did seem quieter somehow than the Imax, so that slight extra RX signal on the Imax was perhaps a "noise" floor pushing the "s" meter up a bit. I found there was no discernible difference on TX between the GM and Imax which was tested locally (within 10-15 miles) on FM and SSB.

The reason I bought the Gainmaster was the appeal that it does not need radials, so originally it was to be mounted above a moxon beam, I read that the GM was a 5/8th wave antenna and was surprised to find when I built it that it was nearly a meter taller at 24ft rather than 21ft (the usual 5/8th height), quite quickly after an attempt to mount it I came to the conclusion it was too heavy and cumbersome to mount above the moxon as was the Imax which once starts to whip....heck!.. well anybody who's mounted one knows what I mean!

Anyway, eventually I decided on a compromise - and after all a vertical was only for local contacts around the province with my moxon for DX, so with that in mind I mounted an alloy end fed 1/2 wave I had. I was surprised to see local rx signals equal and in some cases stronger than the signals received on both the Imax and GM. The 1/2 wave "Venom" as it's called was light enough to erect above the moxon with one arm standing at the top of a ladder, it has a 5 turn 4" coax choke in the RG213 below the feed point and that's it. It was £20 new!

Bearing in mind I cannot get my antennas above about 35ft here, there are lots of very tall trees and hills around my QTH so perhaps the larger 5/8th antennas (especially the GM which seems to need free space) may not fair as well for me as it does others. I have heard story's from the past that smaller antennas like the original Astroplane and the Thunderpole 2 type antennas work very well in hilly areas and down in valleys (I suppose because the slightly higher radiation angle?), and now I'm inclined to believe this is true.

I've never came across any other antenna that has created as much hype as the Sirio Gainmaster in such a short time (it even has it's own pages on the Sirio website) but all said and done from my experiences at my QTH it's not noticeably better than any other 5/8th wave antenna including those that are less than a quarter of the price. And in my case strangely enough there is not a world of difference between one and a generic £20 1/2 wave for local stuff (and that's on TX too).

As I say, just my casual observations from my QTH.
IMGP2267.jpg

Homer, I was going by what you posted on the other forum.

HomerBB said:
I agree completely on the general principle expressed in this post regarding the advantages of more capture area.

All, I'm suggesting is that the small difference in capture area among all of the CB antennas we might talk about here are probably insignificant to our experience working our radios.

The way I read it, you're suggesting that the capture area of a 1/4 vs. 1/2, vs. .625, vs. .64 is what accounts for the progressive differences in gain...and I just disagree.

We all pretty much understand that antennas at different locations will likely produce different results.

IMO my models over real Earth tend to follow the trends toward more gain and better angles for the longer radiators just as noted in the list above, but I attribute that to Mother Earth, the fact that the current maximums for the longer antennas are higher, and more importantly to how symmetrical the radiator is relative to its other elements in design.

I don't think capture area has a thing to do with why we see more gain and better angles among this group.

Here is the model that I used. I started with a 1/4 wave ground plane with 4 x 108" radials below a 108" radiator. I did not tune or tweak these models I just got the dimensions as close as I could. I used the typical math idea to determine the wavelength for each model. Then I turned the antenna over on is side at 36' feet high in order to make all the antennas at the same exact height. I added an overlay for each antenna for easy comparison of the differences Eznec predicts.

Note in the overlay that the black and green patterns follow the same exact path.

View attachment Homer's idea on capture area..pdf

Dont fret over the useless technical crap just put up an antenna that you like and talk on it... All this time wasted over technical crap and you can be talking to whoever and making DX contacts and squashing some ducks!!.. Just sayin!

Hey NB, if it will be helpful, tell me exactly what antenna hub you're talking about, and if it is not for the newest Vector, I might have one laying around here that I'll send you...just to get you up and working on your claim the Vector does not radiate constructively or at all from the bottom cone area.

I also disagree with your claim that some of these antennas we tend to discuss work more poorly than others. I find all my antennas work well at allowing me to work my radio to anybody that I can hear, and that is good.

Our forum buddy Zman is claiming how poorly all vertical antennas work and in his latest Youtube video he is raving that the HyGain SP500 is the best vertical ground plane ever made. The boy just don't make sense sometimes. (i never said i made sense!! I guess all that pot i used to smoke did something to me!) I'll even give his video a plug.

Penetrator 500 5/8 wave CB antenna. AWESOME ANTENNA!!!!! - YouTube

Hey man you used my video without my consent!! Would have been nice if you asked!!!!! LOLOLOLOOL:tongue:

I am interested in your models above, and it seems your 1/2 wave is the best on the overlay. I didn't see the 1/4 in there.

I wasn't suggesting gain is tied to capture area, I said I think of capture area in terms of the overall sizes of the antennas.

I'll try to clarify.

Gain in the case of the 1/2 wave and the 1/4 GP are exactly opposite to the overall capture area.
1/2 = more gain with less capture area
1/4 GP = less gain with more capture area

A 1/4 GP has 9' of upward radiator, and 3 or 4 x 9' of downward radiators - more overall area of approx 18 linear feet from top to bottom.

A 1/2 wave has 18' linear feet too, but less physical area. It relies on the way it is made to produce advantages electrically over the 1/4 GP.

Even if one does not accept that the 1/4 GP with its 4 radials has more CA than the 1/2 wave, it nevertheless will show that equal CA doesn't guarantee equal gain.

That is why we are basically in agreement on the CA thing.

And, that is why I see and experience the potential of the AP.

It is not a matter of physical size/length except as those things are a part of what produces definite electrical advantages that generate more gain.

I wish I had left the part about capture area out of my original repost. It was a comment made within a given context that is lacking in this thread.

It may have value if it doesn't lead to a misunderstanding of why I think any of my antennas work as well or ,so poorly, as they do.

The electrical response to the physical attributes of an antenna is what produces gain.

Dont fret over the useless technical crap just put up an antenna that you like and talk on it... All this time wasted over technical crap and you can be talking to whoever and making DX contacts and squashing some ducks!!.. Just sayin!
Zman, that is the primary motivation for this thread.

We both know that folks aren't asking "what antenna do I like to put up and just make contacts?"
They are asking which antenna do we who are getting results have in the air and how can they get those results, too. They don't know what antenna they like, yet. I posted - with permission - one fellows experience with the Gainmaster that resulted in him going back to a 1/2 wave vertical. He put it up but didn't have the fun he was expecting. He purchased what he had been hearing such glowing reports about, but ultimately, it didn't meet his expectations/needs.

So I hope to offer anecdotes, stories, if you will, of our own experiences, and the more unlikely, the better.

Technical data is welcome that encourages understanding of why some of our results are what they are.

That is OK for someone that just buys a commercially made antenna, puts it up, and is off to the races.

But if one is rolling their own; then the game is different. Engineering and materials is now your own baby.

Without modeling and some test equipment that exceeds a simple SWR meter; you might not otherwise have a means to correct it before and after you build.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
That is OK for someone that just buys an commercial made antenna, puts it up, and is off to the races.

But if one is rolling their own; then the game is different. Engineering and materials is now your own baby.

Without modeling and some test equipment that exceeds a simple SWR meter; you might not otherwise have a means to correct it before and after you build.

So? What's your problem, - I have a modulation meter! :love: ;)

icon10.gif

I'm actually taking down the Gainmaster and selling it. As good as it is, I can't run my big amplifier so I'm putting the Penetrator back up. :eek:

So? What's your problem, - I have a modulation meter! :love: ;)

icon10.gif

I'm actually taking down the Gainmaster and selling it. As good as it is, I can't run my big amplifier so I'm putting the Penetrator back up. :eek:

NB, what happened to your testing idea where you were going to prove beyond all doubt that the Vector does not radiate from the bottom radial cone?

Have you ever used your testing idea to prove the bottom of the Vector doesn't radiate on your Penetrator. 5/8 waves are commonly said not to radiate from the bottom 1/8 wave due to cancellation. If your test can prove that effectively and you can demonstrate it on a video using your Penetrator, then the Vector results might be a lot more reliable in the minds of those that believe differently, assuming that you are right of course.

Its been a while now, what's the delay?

IMO, the GM is void of TVI type problems at my location, it's very broad banded, easy to install, and has a very small foot print. As far as the gain compared to my other CB vertical antennas, it's about as good as any of the others I have.

How say you?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.