1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Attic Antenna

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Mudfoot, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

Screenshot_20181108-210608~2.png

2. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

Haha,im using a longwire 75 ft long along side of my house using it for my scanner ,close to attic but outdoors

3. Eldorado828

Eldorado828 From the high plains of Texas

I use a simple dipole with balun set up for 11 meters fed by rg213 in the attic over the garage. I've done a lot of dx'ing with it and the only issue I've has is when the metal overhead door is open causing some reflection. My neighborhood won't allow me a tower so it's my only option. I purchased a radiowavz double bazooka to replace it some time back because it was highly recommended. So when I received it I put the probes on it and shows to be shorted so I was afraid to put power to it. I got busy with life and it's been too long to send it back now....

4. KC9Q

KC9Q Supporting Member

5. KC9Q

KC9Q Supporting Member

There is nothing wrong with your Bazooka Antenna. The antenna is designed so the outer braid connects to the coax like a conventional dipole, and the ends are connected to the center conductor, thus there is a short DC circuit. Just google a Bazooka antenna and look for an image/picture, and you will see what I mean.

Mike, KC9Q

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  6. Eldorado828

Interesting, I've finally got some time and I'm digging it out this evening to see what that double bazooka is all about. Shoot I'd already given it up as a lost cause since it showed to be shorted. I'm very uneducated on the bazookas, I'd ordered it because of the recommendations and reviews but wasn't sure of its build. Interesting to know that's how it works but makes me nervous to connect a radio to it... I don't want magic smoke!

7. Riverman

Riverman Part-time Member

Been using a 10-20-40 endfed in my attic for several months now with great success. The downside is my station is in my garage (hot in summer, cold on winter) because I don't want to go trapsing through the blown-in insulation in my attic to re-route my coax. But that is about to change. Have decided to bite the bullet and drill a hole through the exterior wall on the other side of the house and set up in my office next to the computer.

Will not be stringing up my endfed in the backyard. Have decided to go another route. Should have my new antenna here and installed next week. Will report back once I'm on the air and have secured an umbrella large enough to fend off all the PR's. :ROFLMAO:

8. Eldorado828

So you're another with a good report on the double bazooka. I received mine and just thought to test it, showed dead short and kind of tucked away without hope on it lol. I'll replace my dipole with balun in the attic tomorrow and will report once I get it all going.

So riverman what kind of antenna are you going to now?

9. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

One thing you have to know is that RF and DC act differently. What appears as a DC short is just fine as far as RF is concerned. All of the Baluns will show as a DC short on the input.

loosecannon and Eldorado828 like this.
  10. Riverman

Riverman Part-time Member

Mine is not a double bazooka, Eldorado. I use a LNR Precision 10-20-40 MKII.

My next antenna? Here's a clue. I LOVE the Alexloop. It's stealthy (requiring only a 3-4' tripod, performs pretty well on 40 meters and works great on 10, 20 and everything in between, including 11 meters. I just wish it could handle more power and came with remote tuning.

That should be enough to bring the naysayers out in full force. :ROFLMAO:

Over and out. For now.

11. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

Just to put it out there, both the Antron 99 and the IMAX 2000 will show a direct DC short if measured with an ohmmeter.

I have seen some guys using a small inductor at the feedpoint of their mobile antenna installs that goes from the center conductor right to ground.

as long as the coil shows a high resistance at 27mhz, it's all good.

this is the same concept used when making common mode chokes with your coax.
    x number of turns has y amount of resistance at 2mhz, but has z amount of resistance at 30mhz, making it more suitable for such and such a freq range.
    LC