• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

attic dipole question

again, much appreciate the input guys..

i think i might add the plexi insulator back into the equation (thanx 'Doc...i didn't think it should affect things but at the time it removed one possible variable so...), and i'll probably split off the coax into two pieces (i have spare 259 connectors :) ) and run a second dipole from the back side of the same insulator...i already have a splitter so why not. that way i can cover the lower end of 27 on A and the upper on B

ya, here i go adding stuff to a project i haven't even got right the first time yet :D

the plexi was "acquired" from work ;) as were the bolts etc etc

i didn't get a chance to get new wire but definitely tomorrow...now if i can get away with only 5 hours of overtime i'm all set

quick question if i might? are insulators necessary at the ends of the wires? or am i safe with a loop at the end of the wire (insulated) and twine leading off to screw eyes?

Those end insulators. I haven't used them in years. I usually make a loop like you said and run nylon "trot-line" cord to the supports. If it get's wet, then don't use the colored stuff, the dye in it can conduct. Found that out the hard way.
- 'Doc

Nothing special here, but thought the idea deserved a photo.
As has been done before and started this thread, two mobiles as a dipole. Good SWR across CB band. Doesn't have the ears of the full-sized Omni I run, but it does work. I've made both local and DX contacts with it. I made it for a small travel dipole to use if a larger wire one is out of the question.

6211.jpg
6210.jpg

Here's one of my dipole setups

Made this out of a home depot paint stick, left over 14 gage lamp cord, some crimp rings, and some twine. The radiator is away from the garage door track so it's not affecting the SWR, I've got about 1.3 to 1 at the top end of regular 40 channels. Works ok, can hear the highway with the truckers on 19, and if the DX conditions are right, I can work skip into the mid west from my QTH in Maine. Hope this helps. I've got a similar set up in the attic space above the garage and works just as well. Next project is a vertical made out of 2 4 foot fibreglass whips in the attic space in the main house. The condo/home-owners association do not allow antennas outside at all, not even satellite tv dishes!!! :mad: 73's

Greg

Attachments

• garage1_S3013043.jpg
    garage1_S3013043.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 2
  • garage2_S3013046.jpg
    garage2_S3013046.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 3
  • garage3_S3013042.jpg
    garage3_S3013042.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 3
Good job. Then put in a backyard lamp post, or bird feeder or flagpole.

Dipole looks great.
The best attic antenna I've done so far is a full wavelength rectangle loop.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.