• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ATU-100 question

MadVeteran

Sep 8, 2021
This isnt specific to one antenna tuner but to the use of tuners on CB frequencies.
I dont need to hear the argument against their use since, these are covid times, I am in a lockdown country and, I bought one.... mans gotta have a hobbie ,, right ??

My question is, if I tune at channel 20,, do I need to tune other frequencies/channels ?
Do I need to do each one or only within a range ?

Cheers and let the arguments begin..... !

BTW - it is a Chinese ATU-100 with green button.

On another board, someone commented that you only need to tune at channel 20.
Not sure if that is 100% correct but, I am just recording one persons comment for the records.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg T
This isnt specific to one antenna tuner but to the use of tuners on CB frequencies.
I dont need to hear the argument against their use since, these are covid times, I am in a lockdown country and, I bought one.... mans gotta have a hobbie ,, right ??

My question is, if I tune at channel 20,, do I need to tune other frequencies/channels ?
Do I need to do each one or only within a range ?

Cheers and let the arguments begin..... !

BTW - it is a Chinese ATU-100 with green button.

I've owned a few different tuners and have seen different results. I'm not a tech, so I may be wrong on this, but it would seem that some tuners have different bandwidths than others. I did have one that, when tuned to 1:1 on 20, would give me a 1.3:1 or more on the ends. Then I had another expensive tuner that would flat across the entire band and more. Strangely enough, I don't run one at all now because after installing an old Johnson LPF, I get nearly flat SWR from 26.700 to nearly 28mhz. I guess you'll have to do the old trial and error method.

I use a SGC SG-230 at the base of an antenna. I have a few almost legal 11m transceivers that benefit and one that doesn't give a flying !^&$.

If you want to get the maximum energy to the antenna place an auto tuner at the antenna input.

If you want to protect the radio place the tuner in the shack.

Then again I could very well be full of ....

ALL great input. I am adding another comment for the 11 meter only people... I just auto tuned to channel 40 (higher than chan 1,, yes i need to shorten antenna) and, the entire 1-40 channel was better. Seems today, if you tune to the worst, they all get better (yep, i have had a drink or two).
More crazy observations as I learn.
Remember before you tell me to tune antenna,, I am disabled and, the tuner box is WAY EASIER than crawling in attick.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Update on the ATU-100.

I realize this isnt the same quality you all might invest in for your radios but, the ATU-100 has turned out to be really good,,, assuming you are patient enough to work with it.

- It seems to be improving each time I tune it. I didnt need to keep tuning but, I did and, now swr is 1.02 on chan 1, 1.2 on chan 40
(without tuner I get 1.2 on chan 1, 2.0 on chan 40)

- downside is , it doesnt always want to tune:
- could be because i drink at night when i chose to tune
- could be that it needs a long whistle sound to tune and, I didnt know that at first

Radio is happy so, I am happy. Like I said, I could manually tune this but, I have physical limitations that make that very difficult.

Reactions: Naysayer
Just received this in the mail today, for the price they we will see how it works, probably mess with it on the weekend, plan on using it with a ss 6900 and small 2 pill amp.CIMG0224.JPG

CIMG0227.JPG

CIMG0225.JPG

CIMG0229.JPG

Attachments

• CIMG0229.JPG
    CIMG0229.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If it were me and I had to use a AT I,d tune every 3 ch of the 40 ch radio. I just sold a MFJ autotuner I used with my wire antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated