• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Audio chip for a connex 3300HP ?

newoldguy

May 31, 2019
I have this connex 3300hp that i bought on ebay the transmit and modulation are working very well but there is no recieve. I did check all the usual mic ext speaker squelch even on pa there is no recieve i pulled the audio ic and there was a TA7222 in it I replaced and same thing i was just wondering if that was the correct audio chip I know they use them in the cobra 29's but thought the bigger radios used a different chip ? can anyone confirm ? and thanks

I think your audio IC may be fine if you have modulation. You can take some voltage measurements on the pins of the audio IC and post them here for me to look at. I'm thinking you may have an issue in your receive chain coming in. Take a look at TR17 and take some voltage measurements on that transistor and post your findings here.

Reactions: newoldguy and Robb
The audio IC in a Connex 3300 does not provide modulation to the transmit section.
Have you tried it in PA mode? This would route the microphone audio to the audio IC to test it.
Does the signal meter move when it receives a signal? If it does, the problem is further down the line, maybe TR15 which is the RX audio buffer before the audio IC, or the squelch clamping transistor, TR16.

Reactions: newoldguy
The audio IC in a Connex 3300 does not provide modulation to the transmit section.
Have you tried it in PA mode? This would route the microphone audio to the audio IC to test it.
Does the signal meter move when it receives a signal? If it does, the problem is further down the line, maybe TR15 which is the RX audio buffer before the audio IC, or the squelch clamping transistor, TR16.
it does not have audio on pa i tried that and the meter doesn't move at all i tried everything i could thik of to try to get some kind of noise from it transmit section is good just no recieve at all and thanks for the reply i will look at tr 15

I think your audio IC may be fine if you have modulation. You can take some voltage measurements on the pins of the audio IC and post them here for me to look at. I'm thinking you may have an issue in your receive chain coming in. Take a look at TR17 and take some voltage measurements on that transistor and post your findings here.
I will get some readings tomorrow and post up thanks for the reply

Reactions: Unit 75
I would look at TR17 first, as mentioned in my above post. It is the first amp in the receive chain from your antenna. Most receive problems with your model radio are attributed to that transistor going from static discharges during thunderstorms when you still have your coax connected to the radio. If it checks out ok, then you can move on down the line until you find the fault, Good luck

I would look at TR17 first, as mentioned in my above post. It is the first amp in the receive chain from your antenna. Most receive problems with your model radio are attributed to that transistor going from static discharges during thunderstorms when you still have your coax connected to the radio. If it checks out ok, then you can move on down the line until you find the fault, Good luck
great info and thanks im going to check it but to clarify we pretty much ruled out the audio chip?? im going to check tr17 and tr 15 as NZ8N posted
I really appreciate the help and info

Does the LED on the front change from red to green when you key the mike?

If not, the PLL may be out of lock. This will shut down the rest of the radio and lock out the transmitter.

Never assume there's just one problem. Quick test for the audio chip is the "Manual Digital Signal Injector". Lay one finger along the shaft of a small screwdriver. Touch the tip of the shaft to pin 4 of the TA7222. It's the fourth pin counting towards the back, starting with pin one at the front-most end.

Should get a loud hum. If not, there is a problem with the speaker audio. Maybe the chip, or the external jack or the speaker.

Or maybe all 3.

Does the LED on the front change from red to green when you key the mike?

If not, the PLL may be out of lock. This will shut down the rest of the radio and lock out the transmitter.

Never assume there's just one problem. Quick test for the audio chip is the "Manual Digital Signal Injector". Lay one finger along the shaft of a small screwdriver. Touch the tip of the shaft to pin 4 of the TA7222. It's the fourth pin counting towards the back, starting with pin one at the front-most end.

Should get a loud hum. If not, there is a problem with the speaker audio. Maybe the chip, or the external jack or the speaker.

Or maybe all 3.

it does have transmit and swing it keys rite on freq i just got home and getting the shop warmed up to get
the voltages for 75 i will try what you suggested also

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.