• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Audio drop off when amp is turned on

dx31353

Mar 5, 2014
My buddy was showing me his set up last night and I noticed that the meter falls to zero and the audio on the radio drops off for a bit when he turned his amp on. Just a few seconds. Is this normal?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

He might have a keying relay/transistor issue or problem with the pre-amp. What kind of amplifier is it?

My buddy was showing me his set up last night and I noticed that the meter falls to zero and the audio on the radio drops off for a bit when he turned his amp on. Just a few seconds. Is this normal?
He turned it on while modulating? What meter?

Have you checked the swr with the amp in place?

If I recall correctly adding an amp can affect it.

Perhaps the drop in performance is the unit being being hit by a high swr?

He says swr is around 1.2 across the band with .2 power reflected.

sounds like the delay is to long on the rf switching or he was using the ssb delay for Am. And Yes that is common

He said it was common. I was curious though. If the delay is to long is it a problem that should be fixed or just let it go?

**Sorry about the multi post. I have not figured out how to multi quote on my phone.

Last edited:
Not sure what amplifier this is yet since you have not told us. I think vkrules hit it, if this amp has an auto SSB delay that is too long there will be a half second or so delay before a receive signal comes in. On AM this can be a pain because you can miss the first word someone says. Also if it is a Palomar they can be cranky when too short of a jumper is used. They either won't un-key or there is a long delay before they do.

Doesn't sound normal to me but from the lack of info given no one can give a definitive answer.

Not sure what amplifier this is yet since you have not told us. I think vkrules hit it, if this amp has an auto SSB delay that is too long there will be a half second or so delay before a receive signal comes in. On AM this can be a pain because you can miss the first word someone says. Also if it is a Palomar they can be cranky when too short of a jumper is used. They either won't un-key or there is a long delay before they do.

Sorry, it's a fatboy 1x4 HD.

We opened the amp up yesterday and it looked like the relay was hanging up. Took it over to a local guy and he fixed it up.

Thanks for trying to help. I'm new and I guess I don't explain things to good.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.