• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Autek vs Daiwa Meter?

Kind of utilitarian, like my Iota power supplies. :) I think it would look nice with blue lights sitting next to my Drake C line. (y)

RT307

I was going to post something similar 2RT307. The Autek looks similar to my old Dentron W-2, and it looks great sitting on the shelf next to my Swan 270B.

Yo Robb,

Did you git rid of the Autek?

Curious as to how you liked it.

Nah, I still got it. Works fine. Seems to be very accurate. But w/o comparing it to a Bird, there is no real way of telling anything for sure. However, I will trust it more than I would the Dosy. It is built better in many ways - no surprise there. I think that the way the power supply hooks up to the Autek could really be improved. Kinda weak; as it can easily fall off and has no support on the housing for the power plug. It just plugs on to the circuit board. Was more than a bit disappointed about that.

The low power scale is what I really got it for. Haven't checked any radios that I've already aligned to see if the DK or PEP are set at. But when I do, I'll make some comments. Checked a RCI-2995DX output with it. Seems that the radio has about 50 watts more output that it is supposed to; but that is plausible with a pair of 2290's. Seems that radio has close to 1:4 DK to PEP on AM; that is what the meter showed. Haven't tested it more than that yet.

Last edited:
Is there room to install a battery holder on the inside to provide power?

I was thinking bout buying one, but small shit like that exacerbates my OCD. I had an LP100A that I really liked, but a friend liked it better and offered me a crazy deal I couldn't pass on.

Oh well, might get another 801HP.

Fudge.

Nah, I still got it. Works fine. Seems to be very accurate. But w/o comparing it to a Bird, there is no real way of telling anything for sure. However, I will trust it more than I would the Dosy. It is built better in many ways - no surprise there. I think that the way the power supply hooks up to the Autek could really be improved. Kinda weak; as it can easily fall off and has no support on the housing for the power plug. It just plugs on to the circuit board. Was more than a bit disappointed about that.
QUOTE]

Checking a ±5% meter (Autek) against another ±5% meter (Bird) really isn't going to tell you anything; it'll tell you even less if the Bird hasn't been recently calibrated.

And if you're using the PEP function with a Bird 43P, remember that it's now a ±8% max error.

I know the Autek is functional but man could it use a styling update :)

I won't argue that. A Bird isn't exactly sexy either; but the Autek was about half the price. That is, if you take into account the cost of the PEP kit and a couple of slugs for the Bird.

But I must say, they didn't scrimp on the quality of the meters nor the components inside. Sure hoped they would have used a better power connector though. But that is just one flaw so far. We will see as it gets used after some time.

If one has a can dummy load and a great DVM meter; then this link below is the most accurate means to get an accurate power reading. With that, you can find out just how far any meter is and even calibrate it.
Just a cool read - too:
Dummy Load Construction

Some thoughts.

I messed around with the alignment of a Cobra 148GTL a week ago. At that time, I used the Autek WM-1. For a lark, I compared it to the the Dosy.

The Dosy wasn't as far off as I was lead to believe. Not that I would use it for an alignment now that I have the Autek. But I have. Since I will be using the Autek to measure the output of a legal limit/1500 watt amplifier; I needed to be reasonably certain that I am within the FCC power use rule . . . So my choice was clear and necessary; the Autek . . . Imagine using the Dosy and seeing 1500 watts out when it may well be closer to 1800 watts?

Do you think the FCC will care that I used that meter - or not?
So accuracy is important for what I need it for.

The Dosy on the 20w scale was very close to the Autek when adjusting the dead key power. Within 1/4 of a watt of each other. The average power reading were well within 1 watt of each other too. Surprising. In peak mode, the Dosy didn't do as well as the Autek. Not surprising. The claim that Dosy meter has 'happy watts' is not true. At least, this one didn't show more peak power output than some have said. Not saying they are wrong for saying it either. The Autek showed 18 watts PEP and the Dosy showed shy of 16 watts PEP. Not really that far off. Cannot say either way if the Dosy is accurate in the higher scale ranges (200 and 2000 watt scales) because I have not tried it there.

To have a true peak reading meter from what I understand, the meter must use an external power source to power a peak reading circuit to gauge a true peak reading measurement. The Dosy has no such circuit; and the Autek and a few other brands do. Such as a Bird 43; if it has been modified for such use. Peak reading meters are measuring signals that are minuscule in size and are brief in existence. But they are a force that is both heard and exerts electrical force on your gear.

One must keep in mind that the Autek is just a better built meter and uses a better grade of parts throughout. The Autek sells for about $175 including shipping while the Dosy that I have (the TC-4002-SW) sells for ~$119 a Bell's CB Shop. You get what you pay for - once again.

Not that the Dosy is a bad meter. It just isn't really accurate. The question is: just how accurate do you a meter to be? If you are using it to monitor you CB station; then take into account that it is probably 10-15% shy of a true peak power reading - more or less. Of course, the Dosy's aren't all adjusted the same; time and abuse will throw them out of adjustment too. But if one is thinking about using it for monitoring your Ham station, then I would say to get the Autek or even a Bird 43 instead. There are other true peak reading meters too; just didn't bring them up here.

If/when you might be adjusting the dead key wattage for a CB & amp and you want to set it at 1 watt; the Dosy may well be off 1/4 of a watt in either direction. Plus or minus. Better to have an accurate meter if you plan to do anything like that. I think that the Autek for its price point is a real bargain and just a better piece of gear than a Dosy. But the Dosy too - has its place. But you might ask yourself this question: If I am going to bother to have, pay for, and use a meter at all; why settle for something that isn't reliable? If the makers of Dosy want to keep getting business; then they should seriously consider having an alignment manual for them. In this way, the 20 watt scale can be fairly reliable - if nothing else.

Last edited:
If the FCC gets involved with a question regarding transmitter power, you can bet their equipment will have been recently calibrated by a NIST-qualified lab and every piece of it will have a traceable pedigree. If your measurements are called into question, your equipment will need to have the same certifications. Price you paid for the meter doesn't enter the equation at all.

Can you send a Dosy to such a lab for an actual calibration? Sure you can. The lab will use the manufacturer's published information regarding maximum allowable error and other data, and based on the history of other instruments of the same model, will specify the interval between calibrations. If the instrument you send in does not meet the manufacturer's specifications, they'll return it to you with a note to that effect, and no certification. But they'll still charge you for their time, and it isn't cheap.

Is it worth having a Dosy calibrated? Got deep pockets?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Hey Robb,

Good read.

Any one have a suggestion on a meter for mobile? Adding a sweet 16 to the N2 and would like to keep an eye on things.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated