• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Autek vs Daiwa Meter?

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
I am in the market for a true peak watt meter. Been using a Dosy for radio alignments and I will not do that any more.

Right now, I am trying to choose between that Autek WM-1 or the Daiwa CN-801Hp. Ebay has the Daiwa for $159/free shipping from Martin RF Supplies. The Autek is also $159 plus $15 shipping.

Daiwa CN-801HP HF/VHF Cross Needle RF Wattmeter 1.8-200 MHz (New) | eBay

WM1 Deluxe Computing SWR/WATTMETER. Autek Research

If what Autek says about their meter is true; their meter is more accurate than a Bird 43. The Daiwa meter has a large following, and owners seem to be quite pleased with it. Since I need a meter that is fairly accurate, I need a true peak reading meter. The Daiwa is supposed to be +/-10%; while the Autek claims are +/-5%. Doubtful; but in reality - is it truly better than the Daiwa? And if so; it is worth the extra $15 for shipping even if it isn't quie as accurate as claimed.

Thoughts?

Anyone that has/had both - or either meter - I would appreciate your input before the dreaded 'buy now' button gets mashed . . .

Last edited:

ROBB,

I have three of the Autek WM-1.

I called and talked to the company before purchasing the meter.

I was told that the meter is calibrated at the factory.

I then asked how much difference is there between frequencies I.E> 28 mhz compared to 1.8 mhz? that is where the 5% comes into play.

I purchased it and have been impressed with the performance, especially the remote head that can be put several feet away from the meter.

If you are in a high RF environment the meter will act weird as it is very sensitive to RF, besides that it works as advertised.

I can not say about the Daiwa as I have never owned one.

You will be surprised to see what a true PEP meter reads compared to the diode sniffer types.

I remember going on a "good meter" quest a few years ago.

I passed on the Autek as it was getting a bad build quality rap. Maybe they are better now.

I had an 801HP and really liked it. During my quest I ended up getting an LP100A. I definitely liked it, but a friend hounded me with various trade offers before I gave in and let it go.

The Daiwa would be good for bench work. Most owners bitch about it not reading reflection in PEP mode, but was far from being a deal breaker for me.

Hey Robb, how would you prove the accuracy for such meters?

I have a Daiwa CN801 and it is very convenient by not requiring recalibration when I use it. I don't know about accuracy of RF watts, but it is very close to what my radio's are supposed to be doing according to manufactures results. I sure don't know if the SWR is always reading perfectly either, but I just use it as an indicator, sort of like a gas gauge on my car.

I also have an old Dentron W2 and it is pretty similar to the Autek idea. It too does not require recalibration and is a nice meter, but the SWR indicator does not seem to be nearly as accurate or as sensitive as the Daiwa, and for sure the higher in scale it goes. I don't like the remote part idea either. For me, that would seem to be problematic around RF equipment.

I would agree with you that the Dosy is a very poor meter in all respects.

I don't have a Bird meter to make any comparisons. Was looking to find others opinions here before I commit to buy the meter. Some QRZ guys said the the Autek is the only real quality option/choice. Leaning pretty heavy twards the Autek at this time. I did find the Daiwa for $139 at Cheapham.com - lowest price anywhere.

Daiwa

i have had to cal two new 801hp's that were 20%+ low @100w from new,
my buddy thought his new ft2000 was only making 79w, the lp-100 bird tellewave or welz all indicated it was making a shade over 100w within a few watts of each other into an unabused bird load,
even after calibration the scale was not within 10% of the lp-100 across the scale as if the scale was printed wrong for the conduction curve of the detector diodes used,

compared to my lp-100 the coupler did not have a flat response across the hf bands, flatness was better than my peak reading kenwood meter which gets lazy below 18mhz,
i hear the later ones are better but can't confirm that,

diamond meters and their clones are no better.

Reactions: 1 person
hey rob , since youre a ham how about something with a built in tuner ?

mfj-993b_1.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.