• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

avanti sigma 2

kc8adu

Jan 5, 2010
been like 30 years since i have seen one of these.
got it from a local ham for putting led's in his 220 rig.
going to shorten it for 10m.
any known problems?
looks like there is little to fail.

True 5/8

These are one of the best if not the best 11 meter antennas ever made ya you could cut it you will notice the sections are indexed for tuninig do not confuse this antenna with a Maco 5/8 totally different animal (Shunt Fed) where AV-170 is a true gamma matched direct feed there is no tapping of the hoop its direct feed. The last one i rebuilt with upgraded feed sold for $350.00 their also made out of very good aluminum better than anything made today I would think twice before modifiing they are quite valuble in the stock state every bit as good as a penetrator 500. And far better than a gamma beta fed sigma 4. Hate to see a collecter piece get hacked I would find a shorter piece of tubeing for the top and save the original indexed top tube. I have run one for 15 yrs for 11 and 10 meter great antenna run up to 28.500 at 100watts 1.7 swr no tuner. Just a thought not trying to offend anyone:mellow: Terry KE7OMJ. PS Luckey dog to get one. Let me know if you need any info i have restored quite few of these most of the mysterys are gone.

Last edited:
i was not going to cut just telescope the section to shorten.
got to find my aluminum welding rod and fix the hoop.its been creased and cracked.
otherwise attack with brillo pads and install.or maybe swap it off for something i need and let it go into the hands of a cb enthuesiest.
i did upset a local cb'er when i trimmed a magmount k40 for 10.he asked what i was doing and i told him i cut the stinger to get it on 10."i wish you hadnt done that its a classic"
oh well i guess if it needs to go back on 11 a uncut stinger could be found.i paid $2 at a yardsale!

AV-170 is a true gamma matched direct feed . . . And far better than a gamma beta fed sigma 4. . . . Terry KE7OMJ. . . .

I am curious, Terry.
I read your apparent praise of the match system on the AV-170, and the apparent disdain for the system on the Sigma 4. Yet, your praise is for the antenna as a whole.

If the matching system is what makes it superior, then I simply read this as the fondness of a dedicated AV-170 user/restorer.

Would you mind elaborating on your preference for the AV-170 over other antennas, particularly the Sigma 4 you mentioned.

Thanks,
Homer

Just making a comparison sigma 4 is a very good antenna the matching system works good until you start running allot of whiskeys pretty small gamma coil stock. And not very wind tolerant I have helped piece back together a few. As well as the vector 4000 knock offs from Italy I have seen a sigma 2 in a tree for over 20 years and still function. Proofs in the pudding. Again these are my practical experiences over the years. opinions may very. And I have run my share of verticles in the last 37 yrs. Sorry you interpeted this as distain for a particular matching sysem that was not my intent just trying to share some practicle experience.

Thanks. That makes perfect sense as explained.
Perhaps I used too strong a word.
I really like the V4k, and as you likely know, I've only experienced it as a homebrew.
I saw mine survive 60 MPH straight line winds with +90 MPH gusts over extended periods of time.

Maybe I'll look at the specs on the AV-170 for purposes of duplication.

Cool stuff Homer up here its not just the wind its the dang ice with the wind. I looked up my sheet the sig 2 is crafted with .O58 6061 t-6 aluminum same as mr.coilys $500.OO antenna Where most of these others are .O47 6063 t-832 with less tensile strength. My friend has a vector 4000 in a 75ft tree does good until the ice hits it with wind its come apart twice lives in Oregon coast range 1000 ft elevation. Great performing antenna for a tower and non ice area in a tree it gets the double whip effect live and learn. PS I recommended it:eek: Now hes giving me a bad time!. Got to go Wish i had your weather 35 degrees right now. Take care my friend. Terry

Yep. Weather's cool and clear today, with winds at 17 mph. High of 44 F today, and the 50s all week.
When we get ice it is an ice storm. Usually in January. We dodged it last year. We'll see.

where is the gamma match on the 170 ?

cb_mag_feb_1974_pg58.png

i wrung off the bolt that holds the bottom tube.guy wanted the mini8 that was attached.so the connector section is now loose.i can post pics for the curious ones here.

the coil in the base goes from the center of the so-239 to ground. its about 8 turns and about a inch around of number 14 copper and its suposed to be for sending static to ground

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.