• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Avanti Sigma4: An alternative view point

I would think where jay and steve test their antennas which is out in the mojave desert would be the best plate to do testing against other antennas.No trees or obstructions and poor ground conductivity.

I have a i-25k and have yet to be beat by any sirio antenna 5/8 wave or 3/4.
5l8 wave is the way to go.Read the arrl hand book.

1221, I'm inclined to agree with Shockwave. What would I look for in the ARRL Antenna Handbook to support your argument? Since you're making the claim, why don't you give us a reference in the ARRL book that proves your point instead of just words.

Does this image help?

Resource 5_8 Wave Mystique (357x800) (286x640).jpg

scottdarling, your lack of reading about antennas and experience using them shows,
a 5/8wave will outperform a 3/4wave groundplane BUT the vector is not a 3/4wave groundplane, it will outperform any 5/8wave including your interceptor and my interceptor,

the desert with very poor ground conductivity according to smart people is one place that could favour a 90 degree radial groundplane over other designs, very few people live in a desert, poor ground conductivity won't make it beat a properly tuned vector,

contrary to poular cb bullshit, a gamma is one of the most efficient matching methods, a vac variable would look cool but the shitty sirio gamma is good enough to keep it ahead of the rest,

if i were you id stick to the simpler things in life such as resonating tetrode grids because your comments on antennas make you sound like a dumbass wannabee porksword;)

CDX-007, in the body of your post above you say,

Which antennas did you actually compare? Did you record any of your observations that you can show us when you compared your antennas?

Below with the picture you show us a Hy-Gain Penetrator 500 and tell us it's a .64 wl, and a Interceptor I-10K that is .625 wl. Personally I don't think this wavelength issue makes a difference that most CB'rs can measure or even tell using our radios. My files show that there were several different P500's made over the years. The manuals all show them to be 5/8 waves and are 22'6" to 22'9.5" long, not including the top hat measurements. I figure maybe the P500 might have changed a little when the 40 channel radios came out, but I see no references to their being .64 wl long.

Can you show us a link to the any info showing the Penetrator 500 is a .64 wl antenna?

I have rebuilt so many Hy-gan Penetrators... they measure 275" when set for lowest SWR & zero reactance (X) around Ch.37, and if one does the math it shows it's too long for .625, especially when taking K factor into consideration.

The R/S .64 was built by Hy-gain but at a considerable cost savings as it seems was everything which sported a Tandy label. It was a coil matched, 300w version of the Penetrator, but without the distinctive top-hat.

I simply placed the Larry's in place of the Penetrator and tuned it, then proceeded to talk to several stations from 5 to 75 miles away, seeing about .5 to 1 S-unit loss overall, so I sold it, though it was so well constructed I wish I would have kept it.
It weighed what 2-3 Penetrators do, and had a gold tint to it. I'm still not positive it wasn't an original Avanti, though the guy from whom I purchased it called it a Larry's LW-150.

It had round, tubular, machined & stepped internal diameter C-N-C'd brackets slotted down one side where the allen bolts were located which held each section to the next and used 4 allen bolts to tighten that machined bracket closed on the single slit side.

Absolutely amazing construction. Best I've ever seen, even better than the I-10K. (y) ...on second thought, that I-10K is a monster... OK, Maybe AS GOOD. ;)
I wish I had it today, I'd try the 41" loop mod, lengthen the arms and extend it out to 29' 7" if I'm recalling the measurements correctly.

Last edited:
scottdarling1221 said:
I have talked to stations ground wave in excess of 100 miles away over land.From ct to ma.With 50 watts.

I've also made groundwave contacts over 100 miles on the Penetrator with ~100w SSB.

I THINK I'LL STICK WITH THE TUNED CIRCUIT OF THE I10-K VERSES A GAMMA. GAMMAS ARE LOSSEY . THATS WHY THEY CATCH FIRE . LOSS IS CONVERTED TO HEAT . I HAVE HAD THOSE JUNK ANTENNAS IN THE PAST AND THEY ARE STRUCTURALLY INFERIOR TO AN ANTRON .PLUS NO DC GROUND DO YOU WANT THAT NEAR YOUR HOUSE OR BETTER YET ON IT, HOPE YOUR FIRE INSURANCE IS CURRENT. IF YOU LIKE THEM YOU HAVEN'T HAD A 10-K. ASK ABOUT THERE 30 DAY UNCONDITIONAL MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. OH THAT'S US SORRY YOU WON'T GET THAT FROM ANYONE ELSE BUT US. IF ANYTHING IS WORTH DOING IT'S WORTH OVER DOING. I DON'T GET IT , PEOPLE WILL SPEND MONEY ON AN AMP BUT NOT A GOOD ANTENNA. I GUESS YOU ALL HAVE A 10 AMP SUPPLY AND A 2 PILL. THAT JUNK WON'T EVEN SUPPORT A 3CX1500A7, MY FIRST [LITTLE] METAL CERAMIC TUBE LIT THAT GAMMA JUNK ON FIRE. THAT'S OK , IF YOU DON'T NEED AN INTERCEPTOR 10K DON'T BUY ONE . MORE DUCKS FOR ME TO MAUL

I THINK I'LL STICK WITH THE TUNED CIRCUIT OF THE I10-K VERSES A GAMMA. GAMMAS ARE LOSSEY . THATS WHY THEY CATCH FIRE . LOSS IS CONVERTED TO HEAT . I HAVE HAD THOSE JUNK ANTENNAS IN THE PAST AND THEY ARE STRUCTURALLY INFERIOR TO AN ANTRON .PLUS NO DC GROUND DO YOU WANT THAT NEAR YOUR HOUSE OR BETTER YET ON IT, HOPE YOUR FIRE INSURANCE IS CURRENT. IF YOU LIKE THEM YOU HAVEN'T HAD A 10-K. ASK ABOUT THERE 30 DAY UNCONDITIONAL MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. OH THAT'S US SORRY YOU WON'T GET THAT FROM ANYONE ELSE BUT US. IF ANYTHING IS WORTH DOING IT'S WORTH OVER DOING. I DON'T GET IT , PEOPLE WILL SPEND MONEY ON AN AMP BUT NOT A GOOD ANTENNA. I GUESS YOU ALL HAVE A 10 AMP SUPPLY AND A 2 PILL. THAT JUNK WON'T EVEN SUPPORT A 3CX1500A7, MY FIRST [LITTLE] METAL CERAMIC TUBE LIT THAT GAMMA JUNK ON FIRE. THAT'S OK , IF YOU DON'T NEED AN INTERCEPTOR 10K DON'T BUY ONE . MORE DUCKS FOR ME TO MAUL

This makes me Keekles.

279.95 All constructed of 6063 t8 alloy and commercial grade components, no junk just like the 10-K This is rated at 5k continuous, this is not a reconstructed cb antenna made of 2024 junk from another country like others on the market. buy American support the usa.

For those that haven't figured it out shockwave1221 is the banned scottdarling1221 cloning my name. He has his pawns lined up to bring personal business into the forum again. Nothing short of fabricated BS. The metal parts on the Sigma design are DC grounded. If your gamma gets hot it's only because the insulator material is not appropriate for the application. Even at extreme power the current in the gamma is low. It's the RF voltage that can be an issue. Poor insulators will heat and fail. Teflon will not heat with RF (place it in the microwave). The Teflon gamma is very efficient and will handle RF according to the thickness of the material used.

Reactions: rumblefish

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.