• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

B&K 2040 Signal generator and alignment

2FB327

Oct 31, 2012
I finally got a nice one with a online manual. I have two questions if someone could help.

1. Can the output of the signal generator be used to go to the imput mic connection for generating a constant signal for alignment, versus the "ahhhhhhhhh" into the mic? If so is it done with a coax of the SG and the other end having two clips to the mic pins? If so which two, ground and audio?

2. The other concerns the 455 KHz noise generator, there isn't photos of the leads, is it done with a piece of shielded wire or is this where I'll need my homemade RF probe.

You will need a tone generator, google online you can find it and even able to select the freq of the tone.

a lot of the guys download it to their computer then play it back through the speakers and put the mic up to the speaker to adjust the radios TX. this works if you do not have a tone generator.

Reactions: 3 people
The B&K 2040 is for testing receivers only. To generate a tone and test the transmitter you need the B&K1040 service master. Or just do like others here have said.

The .455KHz uses no special cable. All you need is a piece of coax, 2 banana jacks (male). And 2 clip leads.

Reactions: 1 person
a lot of the guys download it to their computer then play it back through the speakers and put the mic up to the speaker to adjust the radios TX. this works if you do not have a tone generator.

I do have an audio tone generator. But prefer to use the actual mic used and sound source with an audio 1khz program off of the internet ( Freesound.org - "TONE 1 kHz 44.1 16bit.wav" by klangfabrik ) rather than straight audio signal injection into the radio from a hardwired oscillator. Think that radios respond better that way, at least that is what I've observed.
Not to mention it is more convenient too . . .

Dunno much about the BK 2040; but I'm pretty sure I would change out that RF output connector for a SO-239 or a BNC connector.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.