• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

B&K Signal Generator

C2

Aug 3, 2005
At the swap I bought a new looking B&K Signal Generator 2005. Adjustable power, 20 dB attenuator, variable internal.external modulation, coverage up to 450 MHz.

I was expecting some crystals or possibly digital synthesis, but I dont see none of that inside.

The signal looks like gaaabage, what good is this?

All of the B&K line of sig gens I've ever seen are simple analog circuitry, which was all you needed back then. I haven't seen any newer than about 25 years, though. Mine still works fine.

The one I got is very similar to the one in the link below. Mine does not have the X-TAL socket and the level control is all on one knob (pull for atten.). Mine also has a knob for modulation control. It's looks like a new build...it has that cheap plastic feel to it and looks brand new (minus a bit of damage to the plastic front panel bezel).

http://www.elexp.com/tst_2005.htm

I can't figure out what the X-TAL socket is for on that one?

C2 said:
At the swap I bought a new looking B&K Signal Generator 2005. Adjustable power, 20 dB attenuator, variable internal.external modulation, coverage up to 450 MHz.

I was expecting some crystals or possibly digital synthesis, but I dont see none of that inside.

The signal looks like gaaabage, what good is this?

When you say looks like garbage, do you mean it doesn't have a clean sin wave when generating an unmodulated carrier, or that it doesn't have a clean signal when modulated, or both? Even if the signal doesn't look that great, you may still be able to use it for basic receive alignments, as long as you can drop the signal output down to -110 to -120 dbm.

I might be able to post some pictures later, but both!

I have plenty of attenuators to get it down there, and it has it's own 40 dB of adjustment range, down to about -60 dBm.

I have another Heathkit that is little better, but stops at 30MHz. It has a nice uV meter and mod meter.

Both of those look like serious garbage when modulated.

I passed up an OK looking Wavetek 3001.

Thanks Beetle. I found the BK site, and I assume that my SG is the stripped down version of the one that you found.

I guess I'm just used to clean signals, like this:

100MHz.jpg

Not like this:

BK100MHZ.jpg

BTW, that was the unmodulated signal. I had to set it to external mod and ground the input. Looks cleaner that was as I guess the internal modulation source is just always on and the variable control does not have an Off position.

Now, the good news is that I have plenty of high stability reference oscillators and can probably fix this thing up a bit. Add some filtering, maybe a pll, and get something a little better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.