• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Back in Familiar Territory

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Returning to the hobby after a misadventure.
My station this time around:

Station.jpg

Buddistick.jpg

The antenna is a Buddistick mini coil (10-20 meters), their lightweight shock-cord antenna (10.5') and a single wire radial (17.5') going to an electric fence post (have to look close). The red mast is a work light stand from Lowes. The bright green Dixie cup is a rain guard. SWR rises with sprinklers or rain when using an exposed coil. Hanging out on 20 meters. SWR is:
1.31 @ 14.150
1.22 @ 14.250
1.29 @ 14.350

Time for supper. :)

The Green Cup provides plenty of camouflage and coverage...

Thank you for NOT using a RED SOLO cup...;)

Misadventure?

LOL. Didn’t have a red one. It would have matched my mast. :D

Left the hobby to return to one from years past. Astronomy.
Found quality telescopes and accessories impossible to find. The word of the day: Backordered.

Will try again in a couple of years.

LOL. Didn’t have a red one. It would have matched my mast. :D

Found quality telescopes and accessories impossible to find. The word of the day: Backordered.

Will try again in a couple of years.
The telescopes are probably on the same boat as the pair of Galaxy 959s that I ordered last month.

Found quality telescopes and accessories impossible to find.

A lot has happened in the sky - while you were away...

Some guy with a lot of $$$ sent up a lot of stuff - and now from the Casual Stargazer, onto the devout Astral / Astrophysicists - we no longer see the stars untainted.

By our own pollution-efforts we have now placed objects in the sky to obscure, thwart and frustrate our ability to view, observe and even investigate origins of the Heavens; once was as pristine and untouched, untainted, by man.

Let alone increased the ability to no longer venture to the heavens - without getting knocked out, becoming a part of the very debris field and subsequently any human possibly getting killed in the process...

All because of the inability of man to communicate with himself ...

upload_2021-11-9_8-45-18.png

There Goes The Neighborhood...​

45769-12d24ab141a76c013187e918edc986ba.jpg

He bought a KENMORE!!!!!:whistle::D:love::D

Looks like one of those Heathkit AM radio's from about 10 years ago, sitting next to it.
Jim find a nice little bookshelf speaker for your HF rig, make all the difference in that rig.
The factory speakers in the Kenwood's (IMHO) going back to even the "Hybrid's all to me sound vacant(lack of "presence") in the upper Low's/Midrange levels (1100- 2000 Hz)
I picked up a cheap(scratched up SP-120/SP-43) for like $35 and did this!!!!

WOW!!!!

Phonema Speakers GPH-K23 Phonema GAMMA PHITS Speaker Modification Kits | DX Engineering

Phonema Speakers K23A Phonema PHITS Acoustic Modification Kits | DX Engineering

Great sound quality...Speaker takes a slight more drive(little more AF Gain) but great sound quality on voice reproduction.
I would give the ease of build vs. cost an A- .
I would have gave A+ , but I changed out the original wire interior to the Kenwood speaker as I felt it was to short to fit thru the sound damping pads to the rear connector.

I ended up using a length of Belden shielded twisted pair control wire.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: NZ8N and Riverman
By our own pollution-efforts we have now placed objects in the sky to obscure, thwart and frustrate our ability to view, observe and even investigate origins of the Heavens; once was as pristine and untouched, untainted, by man.

Thankfully there are still plenty of good dark sky locations, Andy. At least in my neck of the woods. And nothing can match the feeling that comes from viewing Saturn or Jupiter or the Pleadise or . . . through a good scope. :)

A lot has happened in the sky - while you were away...

Some guy with a lot of $$$ sent up a lot of stuff - and now from the Casual Stargazer, onto the devout Astral / Astrophysicists - we no longer see the stars untainted.

Let alone increased the ability to no longer venture to the heavens - without getting knocked out, becoming a part of the very debris field and subsequently any human possibly getting killed in the process...

All because of the inability of man to communicate with himself ...

View attachment 48271

There Goes The Neighborhood...​
So true! Hopefully there is still a little tiny bit of hope!

He bought a KENMORE!!!!!:whistle::D:love::D

Looks like one of those Heathkit AM radio's from about 10 years ago, sitting next to it.
Jim find a nice little bookshelf speaker for your HF rig, make all the difference in that rig.
The factory speakers in the Kenwood's (IMHO) going back to even the "Hybrid's all to me sound vacant(lack of "presence") in the upper Low's/Midrange levels (1100- 2000 Hz)
I picked up a cheap(scratched up SP-120/SP-43) for like $35 and did this!!!!

WOW!!!!

Phonema Speakers GPH-K23 Phonema GAMMA PHITS Speaker Modification Kits | DX Engineering

Phonema Speakers K23A Phonema PHITS Acoustic Modification Kits | DX Engineering

Great sound quality...Speaker takes a slight more drive(little more AF Gain) but great sound quality on voice reproduction.
I would give the ease of build vs. cost an A- .
I would have gave A+ , but I changed out the original wire interior to the Kenwood speaker as I felt it was to short to fit thru the sound damping pads to the rear connector.

I ended up using a length of Belden shielded twisted pair control wire.
All the Best
Gary

Kenmore. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Good one, Gary. (y)

Have had several radios (as you know) and decided to return to this one. Operation is basically menu-free. Great receiver and audio (even with stock mic). And as much as I enjoyed the spectrum scope and waterfalls on other rigs, I found I enjoy “spinning the dial” not knowing what I might find next. :D

Good advice on the speaker. (y)
Thanks!

Reactions: Cabover Bob

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.