• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Back in Familiar Territory

A quick update on the performance of the Buddistick 4.5' AGL with a single wire radial pointed northeast (from Texas). I knew I'd have no problem talking to the east coast and states in between and don't. However, the antenna seems to be much more omni-directional than I'd imagined it would be. Am easily making contacts in all directions. Most recently Canada, California and Bermuda.

Had a strong thunderstorm move through a couple of nights ago with winds to 60 mph. The lightweight shock-cord antenna didn't bend as much as I thought it would and was a real trooper, standing straight at attention the next morning. :)

A quick update on the performance of the Buddistick 4.5' AGL with a single wire radial pointed northeast (from Texas). I knew I'd have no problem talking to the east coast and states in between and don't. However, the antenna seems to be much more omni-directional than I'd imagined it would be. Am easily making contacts in all directions. Most recently Canada, California and Bermuda.

Had a strong thunderstorm move through a couple of nights ago with winds to 60 mph. The lightweight shock-cord antenna didn't bend as much as I thought it would and was a real trooper, standing straight at attention the next morning. :)

Was just down in that neighborhood today, south of Wichita on 281 just North of Scotland. Pretty muddy at the substation, looks like you got some good thunderstorm activity through there.

Was just down in that neighborhood today, south of Wichita on 281 just North of Scotland. Pretty muddy at the substation, looks like you got some good thunderstorm activity through there.

High winds, heavy rain and hail ranging in size from pea sized to golf ball. Pea sized where I live. (y)

Interesting development.
When I installed this antenna, I noticed a little CMC in the shack. Not much, but the SWR jumped around a little bit when using my analyzer. I expected this using the single radial.

Today I decided to add some Palomar snap-on ferrite beads (#31) to remedy this. Added five and the SWR became rock solid but went up to:
1.67 @ 14.150
1.48 @ 14.250
1.62 @ 14.350

Removed one bead and saw improvement. Long story short, I am now using a single bead (photo attached). SWR is now:
1.14 @ 14.150
1.06 @ 14.250
1.14 @ 14.350

37536295-D88B-425F-9E4B-216ED2363403.jpeg

Time for supper. :)

Well, the mini coil and Dixie cup (See Post #14) are no more. :whistle: The cup was a hassle when changing bands, and the SWR changed dramatically without it in wet weather (or sprinklers). So . . . away they went. Trimmed the antenna to 99", adjusted the single wire radial length for lowest SWR (1.03 @ 28.400 mhz) and dove into 10 meters. The band in not real busy, but have made contacts daily. First three were to Spain, Costa Rica and Canada.
Antenna is omni-directional. Not influenced by precipitation or temperature changes like an open coil, and is very quiet.

I really envy guys who have antennas up for years. After a month or so, I get the itch. :p

10 Meter.jpg 10 Meter Antenna.jpg

Well, the mini coil and Dixie cup (See Post #14) are no more. :whistle: The cup was a hassle when changing bands, and the SWR changed dramatically without it in wet weather (or sprinklers). So . . . away they went. Trimmed the antenna to 99", adjusted the single wire radial length for lowest SWR (1.03 @ 28.400 mhz) and dove into 10 meters. The band in not real busy, but have made contacts daily. First three were to Spain, Costa Rica and Canada.
Antenna is omni-directional. Not influenced by precipitation or temperature changes like an open coil, and is very quiet.

I really envy guys who have antennas up for years. After a month or so, I get the itch. :p

View attachment 49479 View attachment 49480

Heck you're doing pretty good. I can't seem to keep one up for longer than a year with all the brutal wind storms. About yearly in the spring they're done, didn't make that long this time. In the last 2 weeks we've had 3 different days with destructive winds of gusts that peaked to 85mph. The 1498 is no more and now working with the attic dipole.

Compared to me, you're doing great!

Heck you're doing pretty good. I can't seem to keep one up for longer than a year with all the brutal wind storms. About yearly in the spring they're done, didn't make that long this time. In the last 2 weeks we've had 3 different days with destructive winds of gusts that peaked to 85mph. The 1498 is no more and now working with the attic dipole.

Compared to me, you're doing great!

I'm only 200 miles away but you guys always seem to get the worst of the wind.
Sorry about that. :unsure:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.