• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Battle of the ground planes

best all round antenna hands down

• 55 merlin

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • colossal 5k

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I 10k

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • mr coily enforcer 64

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • sp 500

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • maco V5000

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters

211inthamag

Jan 12, 2008
Natchez, Ms
So lets pretend that money wasnt the issue and you wanted the best ground plane offered ,we are talking all around best...if you have one of the antennas listed, lets hear why you picked it and what you think! Figure id stir the pot on these $$$$ slugger rods a little!

Only reason I didn't put the gain master in there is because In my mind it doesn't even come close since it doesn't hold a lot of watts... I'm sure barefoot it does fantastic

Only reason I didn't put the gain master in there is because In my mind it doesn't even come close since it doesn't hold a lot of watts... I'm sure barefoot it does fantastic

You may notice you haven't heard any reports of the Gain Master burning out since the first production run. They are conservatively rated at 500 watts and take 1000 PEP regularly without modification.

While that may not be "a lot of watts", the Vector 4000 can handle anything you could throw at it if you replace the gamma. Maco make some real big ones now and they can be adapted just by lengthening the inner rod.

You may notice you haven't heard any reports of the Gain Master burning out since the first production run. They are conservatively rated at 500 watts and take 1000 PEP regularly without modification.

While that may not be "a lot of watts", the Vector 4000 can handle anything you could throw at it if you replace the gamma. Maco make some real big ones now and they can be adapted just by lengthening the inner rod.

Replace the gamma with????

I thought the other day that I voted on the A99, but maybe it was in another poll...I just don't even try and remember things that are not of importance to me personally.

If you had told us in your original post that it was all about watts and reflect, then I would have not even bothered to vote then or now on this or any other poll. <can not stand it>The devil made me to it!

I don't don't see my favorite CB antenna the list anyhow.

The gain master Really looks interesting and the claims of it are very impressive especially on how broadbanded it is -- I may purchase one to test and then give to one of my fellow hobbiest in my area that needs a upgrade...I wont be running it because as soon as a switch to am and I will smoke it with my amp and its just way to nice to do that to--- im leaning on putting up a colossal 10k, im very impressed with the build quality of it and the ability to hold high wattage that I may be tossing at it from time to time when not on ssb, there are so many antennas out since I put the mic down 9 yrs ago...im just glad I hung on to my killer 8 all these years, hope to put it back on yall soon as ill be back on the air in a couple of weeks after they finish up on the house and I start moving in, already have a 50 ft breakover pole to put groind plan on and ill have my 120 foot tower installed soon with my beam around december. 73s

17' feet of 14 gauge stranded wire, a balun, some rope and a high tree branch is all you need to make a 1/2 wave dipole that will take all the power you can give it. It will cost you less then $50 for all the parts and will last for years. Hell make two, hang one vertical and the other horizontal.

Reactions: 1 person
17' feet of 14 gauge stranded wire, a balun, some rope and a high tree branch is all you need to make a 1/2 wave dipole that will take all the power you can give it. It will cost you less then $50 for all the parts and will last for years. Hell make two, hang one vertical and the other horizontal.

I agree. I just don't have confidence spending that type of money with someone who thought it was a good idea to put a gamma on a 5/8 wave. Fits as good as the screen door on the submarine.

Replace the gamma with????

In another thread on the Sigma 4/Vector 4000 found here, on page 4 this was mentioned...

Remove the original SO-239 and drill out the mounting hole so that it will accept a single hole Teflon insulated UHF connector. Solder an eye connector to the center pin so that you can bolt a Maco 5 KW match to the connector. Some have made comments about making the antenna handle 25 KW. You bet it can be done if you can weld a DIN connector to the original bracket and use a vacuum variable cap. I know of one person that is dumping the full output of a 4CX15,000A into one as I described.

The DB

Think im going to test out a gain master against a sp500 ! Wish i had some more reviews of the colossal 5k with real world results --- I decided im just going to run ssb mostly anyways and wait to hook up my big box when I get my beams back up again

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.