• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BEST 11 Meter omni antenna: Performance vs Strength vs Cost

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
I'm no expert on antennas. If I need one, I usually build it. Since there was not much local traffic around here, I always operated on the flat side cause it's best for Dxing. But, cb has caught on here (my fault), and I need a new vertical omni since my trusty 35 year old A99 finally succumbed to the UV and high winds here on the mountain.
Whatever I buy has to be a good performer and strong enough to handle the wind I mentioned earlier. It'll have to come from the US, since there aren't any cb shops here. So price is IMPORANT. Amazon has a Starduster listed for $159, but shipping is an extra 50 bucks !!
Any suggestions ???
Thanx.

Any suggestions ???
Thanx.

See the thread Hombrew Co-phased ground plane antennas. And build that one, I love mine, I had an A99 years ago and in my opinion the Co-phased antennas beat the A99 hands down. The only thing I'd do differently is use 102 whips for radials and all. I plan to get 4 more 102 whips to use as radials in the near future. It doesn't have to be on a rotor either, mine isn't and I can talk any direction I need to. It's a sturdy setup,.mine has been in 55 mph wind and had now issues. If You feel like building another antenna I highly recommend the Co-phased antennas using 102 whips for everything. I think you'd be happy with the way they preform.

direct fed wide banded and cheap, built mine out of 1/2 inch emt conduit
withstands hurricanes here in Florida

Reactions: BJ radionut
I've been impressed with the sigma venom. I put mine up several months back and it's handled some intense Texas panhandle wind storms. At first I would lower it but a few storms I didn't make it in time to do so. The last big wind storm was a couple of weeks ago with sustained 45 and gusts around 70mph for about days, it gets brutal here. I didn't think it would survive long but it's already lasted longer than many before it.

My point is that for the cost (75 bucks), the antenna holds up pretty well and the performance has been pleasing too.
From the uk to here took a surprising 4 days, that's faster than from others here in the country.

Just a thought.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.