• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best 11meter vertical ever, period.

v4000.jpg
Yeap ...when I got started in the mid 80s ....all the bad boys on the block had these ugly suckers !! but boy did they do some serious walk'in and talk'in and scratch'in the chalk board with there finger nails with those !! .....Both local CB Shops at the time had them on top of there shops as well ......I never ever saw one of them that was stright either ...I suppose with a 28 foot stinger going through a hollow champain glass the winds could really do a number on them.....but weather they looked like the leaning tower of pizza or not .....those damned antennas' kicked some ass !!! ....I got started on a very old and well used Wilson 5/8 wave ground plane antenna off a old 23 channel Cobra Dynascan that I could plug crystals in the ex.speaker jack in the back for the lower freqs ....the radio did about 5 to 15 watts off a old tug d-104 lolly pop ....now those were the days for me ....I talked all over the world off that 5/8 Wilson on those little itty bitty 5 watts !!! .....(on the freq's of course) it was like magic to me at the time (-: ......but from that time on and to this day .....(OH ......and IM a CB'er through and through ) The Wilson 5/8 wave is truly the best antenna of my choice (baught out by Maco about 30 or so years ago from Wilson(what in the hell was Wilson thinking?) and is now called the Alpha V-5/8 .....there's no doubt in my mind that the Sigma 4 is one bad ass transmitting and receiving antenna ......but I will go with the 5/8 wave every time for my cb'ing situations ......hell .....I was always lucky I could afford to have one of those as it was ,I've gone through 4 of them in almost 20 years , Always shooting for the stars with them and losing them to the winds on 50 ft push ups with extensions added on to those )-: it's now been 7 years since I've had a base station set up , living in a condo complex now and can't have one ....but if the RF God's are willing ? and I have another chance at it one day ? I will proudly raise an Alpha V-5/8 once again with that good ole 9913 coax (-:

Switch Kit said:
Yep ...when I got started in the mid 80s ....all the bad boys on the block had these ugly suckers !! (snip) I will proudly raise an Alpha V-5/8 once again with that good ole 9913 coax.

I love the way the Sigma IV looks! It is a beauty to behold! The import copies are junk however! My Sigma IV never bent and stayed that way!

As for the 9913, that's OLD SCHOOL! The 9913F is better, or just get the LMR-400! I also prefer the CPX1318 from CableXperts.

The older 9913 had an aircore that was prone to water integration. Just as the I-10K has revolutionized a quality product for the CB market, so has the LMR-400 coax!

Ok, i picked up the Sigma 4 (look- alike) yesterday.
Got it together and tuned for channel 20.
Had to re-tune my I-10K for ch 20 as it was tuned
for 27.505.
The sigma 4 (copy) is about 27 ft long.
I will try to build it to 32 ft another time and try.
I have a small cemented section in my yard in which
i mounted a hinge-plate and use 2 sections of tower
to set SWRS on antennas before i put them on my
larger tower.
So, the highest height i could get was 30ft to feedpoints
on the 2 antennas.
After some testing just using S-units in my radio.
The I-10K seems to be stronger than the 27ft Sigma
4 (copy). It looked to be about 1/4 of a S-unit stronger
on recieve and transmit.
I moved my I-10K back down to 18 1/2 ft as i had it and
retuned again for 27.505. They gave me the Sigma 4 (copy)
to keep. So, i'll stick it in my collections of older antennas.

The Antenna's are great because they worked great for the people that had them... Like Wise my Imax 2000 works 2nd to none so for me the Antenna is superior... And the I-10K used by others is superior...

If you can find something that works for you congrats.... That's what this hobby is all about , Comming up with something that makes YOU happy... Not the guy on the other side of the computer.

Hell with Imax being sold out now I'm gonna have to find another Omni maybe....

High Miler said:
The Antenna's are great because they worked great for the people that had them...

And here I thought we were actually talking about an antenna being better than another one, based on its performance. Had I known it is all about what we OWN, I would have looked at it differently! ;)

Let's see... Next time I guess I need to clarify better...

So Master Chief what works for you?? Since it does... I'm sure it probably wouldn't bother you to go out and do it again right??

Different strokes for different folks... Not all Antenna's perform the best under all conditions.... I use what works for me, not because a test under ideal conditions says USE THIS or else...

I'll stick with my Splatter Stick Imax 2000 .... Because it kills the competition where I live... When I want to stomp the life out of someone I go to the Maco Shooting Star....

Those work the Absolute best for me over the years of trying Antenna's... So I guess everyone should run right out and buy one.

What works best at YOUR QTH for you is whats best... PERIOD!

We are not going to fight about antennas are we? LOL
High Miller your Imax is 105', correct.
How high is your Shooting Star?
I'd love to get an antenna up 105'...LOL
But, 47 ' is pushing it here. So, thats not happening.
That Mr coily antenna, "The Enforcer" looks like a nice
well built antenna. It probably performs pretty good.
But, i'll stick with my I-10k as it out-performs any
antenna i've ever owned and I'm ready to settle
down with just 1 omni antenna....LOL...

The Imax 2000 sits above the Maco ... At 150'..... That's feedpoint Height ....

With this KLV 1000 I am tagging stations 30 miles away with S-9 signals ....

With the Maco Shooting star.... 20X multiplication... Shoot you know what happens.... I got that KLV turning about 1.2 KW on SSB...

Most of the time I run the KLV on low and I have had a Texas station come back to me and said I was raising so much hell down there the locals couldn't talk!! ;)

My Antenna's work just fine! There's a strip club some 30 miles from here that advertise on the radio... I point the Shooting Star that way and DeadKey with 600 Watts and they Can't talk to the truckers 500' away on the interstate!!

:LOL: I know what my Antenna's can do!

I ain't never messed with the forums and posting pics.... Let me snap a couple this weekend and if you like, I can send them to your email address on your website.

In the mean time I will see if I can find a way to post them on here.

It took alot of work to get them there ... It wasn't cheap and probably wasn't even worth it... But when I say "Can you hear me now??!!!" Yes... They can indeed hear me now... :LOL:

The kid's position on antennas:

If it works, leave it alone.

If it does not work, get another one.

No one will downgrade a dipole.

If it's supposed to be the best, hang on. Someone will disagree and start a math and word war.

Being math-challenge can be beneficial. :LOL: :roll:

a lot of people rate the avanti sigma iv highly. could it be updated? improved upon(change tuning?) and made stronger, more bullet proof? i am sure it would be a big seller.
as far as the original post goes on this thread, in the days where many companies are winding down/ stopping production of radio antennas and equipment, if a guy can produce an antenna which is of such quality and performance that radio operators rate it better than many well known "greats" from over the past twenty years, then i take my hat off to this guy who is dedicated to our hobby,and look forward to trying one out in the uk one day.all the best ,you are taking the hobby in the right direction.cheers!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned