• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best 11meter vertical ever, period.

here's a purely personal point of view.
had a tagra BT104,3/4 wave sigma copy,built like a brick outhouse,on my chimney.
removed said antenna,replaced with an antron99,with a better VSWR,and dropped by 3 S points.to a lot of people.
but the tagra back up,and parity was regained.
oh yes,if I could find another,it would be on my chimney as we speak.
only antenna to come close was a lemm 3/4wave,with 4 1/4wave radials,and an inductive match arrangement on the base.
so there

bone head i have had the tagra and the superlemm 3/4, i still have the superlemm 5/8 in the garrage, my 3/4 had 8 radials about 4.5 feet long and the 5/8 has 1/4wave x4, i like the way the tubes fit together with the collet chuck type arrangement they feel very strog, my old tagra was the three legged version it worked as good as the avanti but not as strong and i remember it lhad a strange whiter than normal look about it compared to the avanti due to the different mix of alloys in the tubing, the good old days eh where have all these antennas gone

Hi Bob85,

We got a storm here in PA today that caused
50-65 mile per hour winds. My neighbors
metal groundplane broke like a toothpick.
Glad i just recently took my other antennas
down and put up the I-10K. It took the wind
like a champ....LOL..

hey bob.
friend of mine had the lemm you speak of,with the 8 radials.mine was basically the same,but with the 4 bigger ones.
and I've owned 3 BT104's now,an old silver 1,and 2 gold anodised 1's,which were built a lot better.
also had a midland 5/8,CLRII,with the 3 1/4wave radials,5/8wave and worked a treat,till it died an undignified slow death at the hands of the weather when I was off the air for a few years.

lol bonehead, i had the hygain clr2 back in 1980/81, it had three 1/4 wave radials and 3 pronged cap hat up top, it worked ok, theres not many antennas i have not tried over the years, heres a pic of the superlemm coil i pulled out the garrage with my wife holding a pepsi can for a size check,
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/ukmudduck/antenna/P1000434.jpg does it look like yours?, i am using jays i10k right now and i am very happy with its construction and performance, it will take something real special to get me to take the i10k down

yes bud,that coil looks farmiliar!not sure about the jubilee clip holding the wire on though!!
so these I-10K's are OK are they??
got an antron up at the mo,cos I had it lying round from my old portable days.

Boy Bob85 it seems you have used alot of
different antennas. I have never used an
antenna with a coil on it. That's a huge coil
you had in your picture.
I'm personally becoming tired of putting different
antennas up and down...LOL...
So, my I-10K is up to stay...
I haven't used near as many antennas as you have.
But, my 2 favorites that i had is the I-10K and
Maco V 5/8. Sigma 4 was great, but, kept breaking.
Whats it like living in England??? Winters, summers ect.

yes guys the i10k is a great antenna, its maybe the best you can buy for 11mtr vertical, the weather here will destroy any antenna we can buy here today, imax/antron sirio dont stand a chance for long round here, if you get two years without a problem your doing well, if you put an imax up in winter it may only last as long as a few days of wind and cold, few of them have lasted a year without something breaking, the i10k looks like it will survive where others cant but since i errected it we have had no 80mph plus winds, but i am looking forward to them comming, i feel i will be vindicated ( bring it on mr gale force i have something new for you to play with lolol )

I will put my verticle up to 120 ft and blow that
10 element away...LOL.... Just kiddin.
Of course your 10 element would do better
than our verticles. Hard to beat a beam.

Weather

I dont know where you are bob or how high you have your antennas but i have had the Sirio 827 up for about 8 years at about 40 feet with no problems :D

The big argument around here is between the Imax 2000 and the 827. We have someone local who reckons the Imax is loads better.
I am not convinced :LOL:

8 years thats gotta be a record :shock: , maybe they were made a little better back then, everybody i know that uses the 827 ends up having problems with the coil tapping point usually within 2 years or less and especially if you run a few hundred+ watts through them, one day you will unkey and will have no rx then you have to flick the key fast to get rx back, 2 of my buddies are having the same problem right now so i just ordered one of them a i10k and the other guy will not buy another 827 once this one starts playing up, he may end up with a 10k too once he realises the imax is not what he expects
ask knights why they stock spare upper sections for the 827 and if they are honnest they will tell you its because lots of people have to buy new ones when theirs snaps, we used to joke that the tuning tip is so long so theres plenty to pull out when the other sections break off at the joint

we have tested the imax against the 827 a few times and the 827 wins plus 827 is stronger in the wind, 827 is overall the best we can buy in the uk right now, for anything better you need to look across the pond.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts about it being the best available in this country.
I have had it down a couple of times to clean it and have never noticed anything on the coil apart from some discolouration.
I just covered it with vasaline and put it back up.
I have been reading about the antenna you use.
Seems interesting but i suspect a bit too expensive for me when you have added the shipping and customs duty on it.
Dave

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned