• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

best amps?

im wondering what cb amps everybody have liked and suggest to sombody looking for a good one.

CB amps are illegal to operate in the USA. I don't think anyone on this forum will admit to owning one and risk going to a federal prison.

mvc045fjg9.jpg

Shot at 2008-10-23

Funny stuff. Now to answer the question: What's the best amp? It depends on you. That is, what do you expect to get out of it? The amp you use to be a player on Ch6 is going to be very different from the one you get if you want to work SSB. Do you want to be loud, clean, or both? Are you running base or mobile? What's your budget? What type of radio will you be driving it with?

Everyone has a favorite that they swear by, and others will swear at that same model. FWIW I like the older, low drive Texas Stars and Messengers for mobiles and sweep tube amps for the base but then I'm all about vintage equipment.

Asking 'which amp is best' is the sort of question that really doesn't have a definitive answer. As I said, it mostly depends on what you expect.

A caveat: Remember that good stuff isn't cheap, and cheap stuff usually isn't very good. That and be really careful buying stuff from ebay.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish. My HF radio runs 100 watts and I've talked around the world. So I would say if you wish to have 1 then maybe a 2 pill amp.

Amps? we don't need no stinking amps.:laugh:

Get you a 3 element maco and put it up about 40ft on the flat side and a good SSB radio and you will be surprised at the dx contacts you will make.(y)

Reactions: 1 person
Amps? we don't need no stinking amps.:laugh:

Get you a 3 element maco and put it up about 40ft on the flat side and a good SSB radio and you will be surprised at the dx contacts you will make.(y)

I agree and to tell the truth for 11m I honestly do not see the need for an amp unless the operator is of the type that his ego prevents anything less than a domineering signal on the band. I got started in 1977 and always ran SSB and never ran anything more than 100 watts and 90% of the time was at 25 watts and I worked all over the world from Freemantle, Australia to Durban, South Africa and from Puerto Deseado, Argentina to Thule,Greenland. A good antenna is more important than an amp.

Reactions: 2 people
Let's see I've owned a Palomar 80 TS Modulator and TS Killer bee250 And still have my X-force 500 watt base amp and the TS killer bee the others where sold. I LOVE my TS when traveling but the base amp isn't even connected. Thought about selling it but can't bring myself to do it.:unsure:

I agree and to tell the truth for 11m I honestly do not see the need for an amp unless the operator is of the type that his ego prevents anything less than a domineering signal on the band. I got started in 1977 and always ran SSB and never ran anything more than 100 watts and 90% of the time was at 25 watts and I worked all over the world from Freemantle, Australia to Durban, South Africa and from Puerto Deseado, Argentina to Thule,Greenland. A good antenna is more important than an amp.

(y)

For the last three years my base has been a Uniden madison into a Bulletproof AB 2 pill. I run the amp on Med and leave it, maybe 100-125 watts. Works great for me. Best amp I ever owned was a Joker 2 pill with regulated AB bias.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.