• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Antenna For a 18 Wheeler

Wilson coils are bullet proof. If around over head cat works with diamond like grid be sire to remove antenna or cut off the static ball. That little ball gets caught and it will tear the antenna right of the mount, although I have never seen a coil damanged. They just fade in color.

You are the Wilson Terminator FB-Buck !!! .......Ouch Man !!! Just the thought of having my Wilson ripped off the top of my car is damned near scary )-: I guess I've just been damned lucky on about 5 cars over the last 16 years to all have Wilson roof mounts on them. Just sounds like you and Mr Wilson don't get along very well )-: OUCH !!! My dream car is a Jet Black Mercedes Benz ,I would love nothing better then to drill the hole myself right smack in the middle on that pretty jet black roof and install a brand new Wilson 5000 on that baby !!! Chrome rim of course (-: tinted windows , oh yeah !! I just couldn't see a 10K on that car , I might be mistaken for somebody else )-:

frmboyuck, I never would of imagined that. Like I said destroyed mounts, stingers yes, coils no. But then I haven't tried to peel off the coil plastic cover via the top mask either. Probably take the stack out too. I believe that in the vast amount of anternna damanged cases the Wilson coil is the least and rarely damaged.

WOW,
I thought my "Dump Bucket" was the only one to tear Wilson 2000's apart...Granted these are 3-4 years young but when the case starts to "peel"..you might get one chance to re-glue it....The 2nd time you see it dangling it is history... ;) :roll: :roll: ...And this has happened on both sides of the truck (yes I run duals 8) ;) )...
The only antennas that have held up are my Wilson "silver tips" but those black top hats must be bought by the "bucketfull" ;) :roll: :roll: :roll: .......To bad their rx is not that of the 2000's.....

Oh well, just put pennies in the bank and invest in new 2000's every 3rd year.....Life is good........

Snoope back quiet

fmboy,

I tried my dual coil 10k (my DEALER special ;) :roll: )..
That dang "OLE "tip cart" blocks everything (the cab proctector leaves 3" clearance on either side- mirror arm full out :shock: ) and even with the "Granite" having the new "BIG ARMS".....that perch worries me enuf to leaving the 10k collecting dust till another day......

I'll just keep putting pennies in a jug for the Wilson 2000's....

Snoope back quiet

Im not going to read all of the replys here.Im just going to say that if you buy anything other than a 10K your pissing your money away!
You want to be heard right?
Well get a 10K!

On a big truck with a sleeper I have tried top loaded Wilson Silver Load, Monkey Made, Frances, Wilson 2000 and 5000, Predator 10K single coil, but the best was the dual coil Predator 10K. Receive cannot be beat with any of the Predator antennas. Now this is on a big truck with a sleeper. The single coil Predator was too tall so it had to be tilted and any vertical antenna needs to be vertical not tilted for best performance. The dual coil can be installed straight up.

Predator Dual Coil is a better choice for sure...But the "SW" Dual Coil Predator 10K was designed Just for mounting on mirror brackets on Big Rigs...It has a extra turn in each Coil, that allows the antenna to tune even shorter than the regular Dual Coil 10K. And works just as well as the rest of the Predator line...
1004872jy0jv3.jpg

antenna

Best antenna I have found for low power applications would be a pair of fiberglass whips.Best antenna for over 1000 watts would be the stainless steel ones I had custom made. Not sure how to post a pic.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.