• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best antenna on a vise mount for semi truck application?

liljoe

Jan 24, 2007
Nashville
I need some good advice here guys...I will be running a Connex 3300 in a mobile radio box. I need to know what woud be my best antenna for this application? And how mant feet on coax will I need? Antenna will be on a vise grip mount because I am a "slip seat" driver. Any input will be appricated! :D

liljoe,

I'd say go with a Francis 5ft. Tune it to one truck and "it should be ok" on most trucks.

I didn't slip seat, but the Francis was what I ran anyway. I've tried Wilsons 2000/Sliverloads, Firesticks, Mr Coliy, and a Predator 10k and went back to the Francis. Tx'ed a little better on a truck and RX'ed a lot better. On an MFJ 259B it even tuned in better than the 10k with perfect readings.

Mr Gnome

FRANSIS ! Cheap and to the point in any size ! Those good ole fish'in poles without the eyelets. 2 Thumbs up ! :D

I agree, those things work on everything if they are not mounted to close to the cab. Resist the urge to use a short coax like I see some freight haulers (nothing personal) use, the Francis rely's on an 18' section of RG8X for its measurement. However if your in a consistant tractor type, any quality top load stick will work even better (IE: Wilson silver load, Antron quad wrap -my personal favorite in 5' length- ect.) if you set it up with the lowest SWR's and dont knock the tip around to bad.
Dont forget to stay to the right, some of us are trying to get some work done! L.M.A.O. :twisted:

Thanks Skirtchaser! I think I am going to go with the Fransis and a 18' coax...Yes I will try to stay to the right! Those brite orange trucks only do 62... :cry:

Hey brother, we're all doin' the job, I was just pokin' at ya'. When I order something it does'nt come to my house on a 48' spread axle towed by a lit up 379, you guys do that, and I thank you. If you get a chance though give the top load a chance, I thing you'll like the overall performance better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.