• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best base antenna for under 100 dolls

Your best bet is probably an Antron99. You might get lucky and find a used one for well under $100. You might even find a Imax2000 too.

W-58 Omni-Directional Antenna - Palco Electronics

W-58 OMNI DIRECTIONAL ANTENNA

Product #:

Palco Price:
$59.99

Description:
A HIGHLY EFFICIENT 5/8 WAVE COMMERCIAL ANTENNA WITH GROUND PLANE. IT OFFERS OUTSTANDING BASE STATION PERFORMANCE. FIELD TUNABLE TO COVER FROM 26-33 MHZ IN 1 OF 9 SETTINGS. MADE OF ALLOY ALUMINUM. LENGTH 21'. 1200 WATTS.

i1005081.jpg

the same design as a maco 5/8

Maco V 5/8 Antenna Review

fairly new in this best antenna for base?

Base on the fact that you say you're new to CB, then the A99 is probably the best route to take, contrary to what Booty Monster and some others recommend. These guys are professional CB'rs and they have the tuning thing down to a fine art and understanding.

The Imax/A99 are easy to install, and typically need no tuning. The Maco V58 styled antenna is a very good antenna, and it may perform a bit better, but they can be difficult to construct properly and get tuned. Do a search on the Maco V58 and check out what is on this Website and others, regarding tuning.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Follow the instructions!

The suggested lengths for the listed frequencies are close.

I agree that is what we are instructed to do, but I've heard too many say they have problems tuning the V58. I've never owned a V58, so I could be all wrong. However, I have read and studied the instructions over time and I was confused at times, so I asked questions and never got the answer, only arguments.

Hey Office, why don't you give sidewinderfl some real life construction ideas and advice on the V58? He's the one that said he was new to the hobby. Depending on the instructions used, try and explain simply how detail D2 and C13P clamp is installed? Tell us where the bottom of this antenna is, below the hole for mounting bracket C13P?

Last edited:
ya i agree. since your a new cbr then you only need mediocre performance so a a99 would be perfect for you since you dont deserve to get out great like you will if you bite the bullet and spend a little more money for the new $150 penetrater

Reactions: red97k1500
:blushing: sorry, didnt mean to be an ass but i was reminded of my 1st guitar- what a p.o.s. since i was only a beginner my dad figured i only needed a crappy guitar with rotten intonation, high frets that buzzed, a half a mile between the strings and the fretboard and tuning keys that went out of tune if you hardly strumed it for 20 seconds and i wasted months of frustration on taht piece of crap.
it wasnt until my aunt gave me her sons takamine since my cousin died from lukemia and she thought it would go to good use with me then i really learned to play and it changed everything.
a99s work but there deaf and a couple s units down compared to a $150 penetrator or a $180 gainmaster or a $359 i10k or a $500 mr coily enforcer
just get a penetrater and you will enjoy it for decades unless you can get your antenna real high and away from everything else then the gainmaster is the best performer but allmost twice as much money as you wanted to spend

ok. take your push up mast and by a piece of oak dowell the same diameter as the inside of the top of the mast and cut it to 1 foot. put 8 inches inside and run a screw or bolt.
by a 2 inch long hex nut with 3/8 by 24 thread and drill the top of the foot of oak so you can pound the nut down tight into the top without splitting the wood and screw in a 7 foot firestick or a 102 inch fiberglass or stainless steel whip. now hook your top guy wires to a ring that goes around the dowell but is too small to slide down the mast and go down 9 feet and put in an insulater on each of the top guy wires. split your coax so the center goes to the bottom of the 102 inch whip and the shield goes to the top guy wires. you now have the best antenna for under $30 that will at least keep up with a a99 but without the noisey fiberglass static and give you about a 1.2:1 swr and handle a lot of power. when your done building it put it up real high and coat the whole thing with liquid electrical tape in the can so it will be waterproof

Last edited:
teh a-99 is ok... I only use it because I got it locally for $20... then I made a set of aluminum radials, a coax choke, and isolated the antenna from the mast...

honestly the best antenna for under a $100 is the Workman w58 or if you can find it on sale the Maco v5/8

they are way better than the a-99 and almost as good and the penetrator

Reactions: FL Native

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.