• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best CB Radio DX Antenna?

OK, we are talking about the same thing. But, as I said, when I tried it that way, the SWR shot up. When I tried it horizontal, it's 1:1, when I tried it like an L, with the coax going off the point of the L, it was great, SWR about 1.1:1. However, I have never had trouble talking to vertical antennas locally, as I also heard tell of. I talk to locals with A99's, mobile roof antennas, even magnetic roof antennas on their refrigerators.

As for beams, I can hear all the famous ones around the country that use beams, literally all over the country. I can even talk back to them, but with a small amp, I get stomped if it's too busy.

On the other side. The dipole lives by bouncing off the D-layer, that can make some long jumps over the ground. It seems to be, the angle I have it now, 1 hop is roughly 500 miles and I can not talk to my buddy in Chicago, but I can talk to Tennessee, faintly and Alabama like it was next door. :blush:

Well, I'm not sure. I was answering w9cll.

I have a home made multi band V hanging from at tree limb. SWR's are flat across the board. I have wires for 17, 20 and 40 on it (15 loads on the 40 meter wire). When hanging at 45 as I said it's flat across the band but off of 45 the SWR vary.

On the other side. The dipole lives by bouncing off the D-layer, that can make some long jumps over the ground. It seems to be, the angle I have it now, 1 hop is roughly 500 miles and I can not talk to my buddy in Chicago, but I can talk to Tennessee, faintly and Alabama like it was next door. :blush:
This is due to the height of the antenna affecting the take off angle.

This is due to the height of the antenna affecting the take off angle.
Wouldn't the angle be due to the slope? The more I set the slope on mine, the further the jumps seem to go.

Also, On mine, I have no way to really get an accurate angle of the legs, but for sure, once they get sharper than 45 degrees, the SWR goes thru the roof. Less, more flat, SWR goes down.

Wow, another great link. So, height off the ground affects jump distances more than the slope angle? That does make sense, although I seem to be able to adjust that with slope too. But, I really have a complex situation here. I have a camp Nazi that will not allow antennas, so I have to be sort of stealthy about what I do. Then there is the lay of the ground here, with hills, cliffs, overhead power lines, high tension lines withing 200 yards, and worst of all, a steel retaining wall very close to where I can put up my antenna. I am probably lucky I can get out at all.

Anyway, I am learning with every post. That's the best thing. :)

I don't think any of this applies to my situation on the RX end though. However I may be getting out, and I know I am getting out, at least to the South, my location is still going to determine if I would ever "hear" a reply.

I was thinking about one of those lazy susan clothes hangers that goes around in a circle. Looks like a good 17 feet of line there. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.