• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BEST COAX

And something like 6 - 8 watts difference between LMR-400 and Belden RG-8. Wow! A whole 6 - 8 watts. Do you really think it would make any difference?
- 'Doc

the loss difference will only be noticed when looking at a meter @ 27 MHz.

And something like 6 - 8 watts difference between LMR-400 and Belden RG-8. Wow! A whole 6 - 8 watts. Do you really think it would make any difference?
- 'Doc

Loss is only one of the specs I look at when choosing coax. The materials used and quality control in manufacturing are also something I take into consideration. I've used several brands over the years, and Times Microwave is what I use now. My preference prior to that was Belden. The reason I switched is that after the Belden had been exposed to the weather for a couple of years the casing became hard and started cracking. The TM has been in service now for going on 4 years and it is still pliable and looks like new. The foam dielectric of the Belden also had a problem with water migration, but I hear they finally resolved that issue.

Reactions: 1 person
well , im a poor bass turd and just use 50ft of 8x from sparkys and it seems to do ok . i do need to get a longer (100 ft) run , but ill be sticking with 8X . there's only .6 db of loss difference in a 100 ft run , my human ears will never hear the difference . im thinking the The WireMan - Coaxial Cable 118 wil serve my modest power requirements just fine on the chicken band and i like the additional %100 foil shield and the tinned copper braid shield . if i were a big strapper id like to use Davis RF Co. - Bury-FLEX Flexible Low-Loss Coax i like the flexable stranded core over a solid core .

Davis RF Bury Flex 9914F Coax Review

- 'Doc

I agree that it doesn't look like much.
On the other hand, if buying new coax - I would not want to buy coax that had any loss if I could avoid it either. I just had to pay for it - and now it takes 25% of every watt I put out too? One would think that the gov't made it - lol! Might as well pay the difference and get something optimal.

Well; that is how I saw it before I bought my coax. I'm glad I did too.
;):pop:

Last edited:
Reactions: Naysayer
.... I just had to pay for it - and now it takes 25% of every watt I put out too? Might as well pay the difference and get something optimal.

i know this is a coax thread, but,............. 450 ohm ladder line is cheap;)

Ummm....You could do that....But it would have 25 watts of loss per 100 watts in.....The LMR-400 would have only 13 watts of loss per 100 watts in @ 100 ft length.

Now, if it was used on the HF Ham bands, that is acceptable. I use it on my 10-80m dipole

Coax Calculator
LMR-240 flex is my favorite mobile coax with only 18 feet in lenth
the loss very low.andrew hardline and lmr might be overkill but i like every
advantage it can get. even if its very small

- 'Doc

Yeah, Doc... You betcha! Let us remember that folks who enjoy optimizing their stations are members of a subset within the radio hobby. So yes, 6 - 8 Watts means something to these people; Perhaps not to you, but certainly to them.

I, for one, try to be cautious about belittling their efforts &/or ambitions. As always, take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Well put.
Easy to remember too . . .

AS far as Radio Shack coax goes, I won't use on any more radios that's for sure.
I wouldn't tow a car with it either.
Oh....wait a tick....I've done that with it......It didn't work very well for that either....lol
Wrong post

Yeah, Doc... You betcha! Let us remember that folks who enjoy optimizing their stations are members of a subset within the radio hobby. So yes, 6 - 8 Watts means something to these people; Perhaps not to you, but certainly to them.

I, for one, try to be cautious about belittling their efforts &/or ambitions. As always, take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

With the right medication and counseling, people can overcome such compulsion. :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Who'z 'belittling' anyone? You have to keep things in perspective. How many watts are being run to loose that 6 - 8 watts? Then balance that percentage against the percentage of price differences.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Lmr 400 is really good for 1 antenna
RG 11 for dual antennas

LMR-400 is really good stuff, agreed. However, I think LMR-240UF is really better in terms of dipoles and other wire aerials that are hung in so much that weight becomes a factor.

For base antennas such as a Yagi or vertical that is mounted, LMR-400 type coax is probably the best choice. (Unless you have Heliax style pockets - hihi.) I will likely use it with the Hy-Gain vertical. I do have some baluns & line isolators on hand and may use them with my cage-EDZ project along with the LMR-240UF. (Also on hand.)

Good luck with your antenna projects. As always, take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.