• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BEST COAX

Who'z 'belittling' anyone? You have to keep things in perspective. How many watts are being run to loose that 6 - 8 watts? Then balance that percentage against the percentage of price differences.
- 'Doc

i agree Doc . the difference between 75 and 87 watts wont make or break a contact . for several hundred watts or less on 10-11-12 meters good quality 8x with properly attached quality pl-259s is fine for a 100 foot run . if ya got a little extra money to burn or just want the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you got the best you can there is certainly nothing wrong with that either . but you wont have humanly detectable loss on 8x compared to the 400's on the cb band if you keep within the power limitation of the coax . there are crappy versions of each being sold though , so stick with a established brand when buying either .

I like LMR-240 myself for HF work.. LMR-400 is great, but stiff. I don't have a very long coax run between my antenna and my rig, only about 60 feet, so for HF use I haven't really needed anything with uber-low losses.

Personally I don't find fault in finding ways to improve antenna system efficiency even if it's only a couple of Watts. To me ironing out losses is similar to tuning an engine: Every little improvement helps make for a better antenna system, and we all know that the better the antenna system, the better the station.

I have always ran 108 feet of rg217 on my setup and there is not alot of give in that coax and its about as big around as your thumb! Cost for 108 feet with pl259 on each end , from the wireman is around $200

i use 100' on the base of RG8 (big stuff not mini), i also have 100' of RG213 for another setup and another 100' of LMR400 seems all works the same to me. tho i would use solder connectors over crimp :) 73s

If the coax is not moved around much RG213 real milspec not new stuff. make sure its triple shielded. imo:glare:

Thanks....who sells it?

I see a lot of the 213....but do not know whether it is mil-spec stuff?

Last edited:
Thanks....who sells it?

I see a lot of the 213....but do not know whether it is mil-spec stuff?

Jefatech
Remember u get what u pay for and coax is not something I would cheap out on
Sent from my Droid X .602GB Root, Tapatalk.

theres also cable xperts 1318 if you want lmr400 performance in more flexible form

i know this is a coax thread, but,............. 450 ohm ladder line is cheap;)

what would happen if you used both?
what if you run 450 ohm over the 'miles' then cut 2 pairelell 1/4 waves from 75 ohm rg11 for each end?
if you solder the 75 ohm shields together but keep them floating from ground and run one rg11 inner conducter from one side of the 450 to the shield of a few feet of 50 ohm coax then the other side of the 450 to the other 75 ohm center conducter then to the center of the 50 ohm coax going to the connecter on your antenna and did the same thing at the other (radio) end will it match right?
the pairelell 75 ohm rg11 1/4 waves should make a 150 ohm transformer so from 50 to 150 to 450 at the radio then 450 to 150 to 50 at the antenna. seems right to me
450 ohm x 50 ohm = 22500
√¯22500 = 150 ohm
i dont think you would have to worry about a balun because the 450 ohm has opposing curents so i dont think it will let common curent go back down to the radio causing rfi.
doc, shock, ?, would this work?
if it does then its a cheap way to match 450 to 50 without a expensive lossy balun

Will parallel feed line allow CMCs or cause RFI? It certainly can. Will using parallel feed line result in less losses than using a balun? In some cases, yes, but that's not a certainty. Would your solution be 'better' than using a balun, or two of them? I haven't figured out exactly how you mean what you said, so have to say I don't know. I do know that it is unnecessarily complicated, and the impedance transformation formula you gave isn't gonna work. Sorry 'bout that.
- 'Doc

doc the formula hasnt changed for calculating a 1/4 wave transformer. its all over the internet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.