• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BEST DIY DX ANTENNA

for an easy DX antenna that can be built VERY cheaply, has a little gain, and can be fed directly from your 50 ohm coax; the half square antenna is hard to beat.

just google "half square antenna" and you will see how to build one.

all you need is some wire and an SO-239 connector.
LC

Reactions: 928bolo
i have never got shipping from cali so fast..got mine from the ebay seller on monday..gonna get some good quality string tonight since it didnt happen today.

question; i think i read somewhere to NOT use a metal pole to string the antenna up with?

even if it dont touch the pole? i was gonna used a 24ft stick of aluminum tubeing,with13-14ft alum rod inside it, and attach the eye hook to the top,not touching metal,and string the wires out in the inverted v for the first try..and get the top minimum of 36 ft the air.
i can use a peice of wood for the very top also but the metal will still be between the inverted v..
and my all metal roof from the house will be 25 ft below the top of the dipole also,but 10ft away from the side.

got the ebay dipole up aprox 35 ft..thats 15-20ft higher than my astroplane thats in the trees.the dipole is in a open place much better than the a.plane

to make a long story short theres no compairson..the astroplane has much much less noise and 10 times better ears,even tho its on the ground btween trees.

maybe this hurt the dipoles reception? i mounted a 1/2 inch square alum at the top of the 35ft pole to make a T,then made a arm 12 inches out from the T to hang the dipole on so to not touch metal.
THEN INSTALLED EYE HOOKS ALONG THE T alum peice so the wire could hang down away from the metal..only a inch below the metal.
i used 4 ft fiberglass rods at the end of the T also to make the T 12ft wide,then let the dipole wires hang down 3 ft 4 inches down in the air,and added a weight to keep the wires still..
it did recieve and talk,just not that good imo.
yall think the metal pole and t used made it not so good reception? or the ends hanging down make a difference? J9

ok,scratch what i said above..the wire in the sky dipole from ebay kicz azz..i put it 35 ft up today in a inverted V at 4 degree angle and i must say im impressed..i cold hear skip today which was a good day over 3000 miles in many directions..even got my president grant working right and talked a lot more than normal finally..folks were amazed with a 2 watt turned down radio and a peice of wire that was talking.(y)
on a cheap radio shack 80,s mic:D

Reactions: 1 person
yep,many typos here..darn computer just started taking me back every 3 words i type pas few weeks and screws me up bad,then have to back track to check everything.
if i only knew what i deleted when i cleaned it out,i think its my fault but not sure..my touch finger scroll bar on the mouse pad stopped working too.
if i could just learn computers next id be in buisness lol..

def 45 degree angle..a lil better recept that the a.plane at 23-25ft also..but im getting me a antenna farm soon;) i been learning from experianced hams:whistle:

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.