• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Moblie Antenna for OTR Truck

@338_MtRushmore:

I referred to that set up as a "vertical dipole", when I was speaking to my HAM cousin, the day I did it, and he questioned the accuracy of that term. I'm kind of learning things, still; I don't know what to call it, I just know it's working, lol.

But, yeah, the Volvo is mostly fiberglass, and poorly grounded. There are other antenna set ups that I could try, if I owned the truck. But, it's a company vehicle, so I have limits on what I can do.

My next step, I think, is to cophase dual "dipoles", because the flaw that I expected manifested the other day, when I passed the guy that I was talking to. The passenger side of my truck has a big "deaf" spot. But, as I said, I expected that.

As to the resonance, I want to see that, myself. An antenna analyzer is on the top of my wish list. Two of them are, actually. There is an MFJ model that I want, mainly because it seems to be a very widely trusted brand and model. But, I also want the "Mini60" Sark100 clone with Bluetooth. The various graphs and all look fun; and the technology of the thing appeals to my inner geek, lol.
The MFJ 226 is nice also, but costs more than the Rigexpert AA30.
MFJ-226_Side_4752.jpg

I wouldn't spend a dime on anything by mfj if a similar product is available from a different manufacturer. I was extremely happy with my rigexpert, and plan to get another since my first was stolen when it was a week old.
The MFJ226 isn't made by MFJ. It's made by Times Technology with the MFJ name silkscreened on it.

Does Times Technology sell it cheaper than mfj? If so, I may be interested
They do, but unfortunately there are some design issues with the one that does not have the MFJ name. MFJ had them make a couple durability changes before they would allow them to put their name on it.
What I said was definitely true about the first version but I'm not sure about this newer version It's very possible they may have used MFJ's changes in this newer version which would be really cool.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Times-Technology-T101-VHF-UHF-Antenna-Analyzer-new-model-replacing-T100-T100-/132068379906?hash=item1ebfe38d02:g:GisAAOSwa-dWpZeh&_trkparms=pageci%3Aec8c9634-49a4-11e7-9399-74dbd1801cd1%7Cparentrq%3A7672825715c0aa471f8dd6adfffc9660%7Ciid%3A1
$_3.JPG

$_3.JPG

I think you got the most bang for your buck with the rigexpert

Last edited:
What kind of truck is that? What kind of range are you getting?
Its a mack . 5 - 10 miles depending on band conditions..
To a base unit from 20 to 100 miles again depends on band conditions.
AM is not very effiecient. Best bet is ssb. My favorite is 75 meters .
I dont run my ts-50 kenwood because of slip seating .

If you drive the same truck get a General class license if you dont already have one.
I really enjoy hf ssb . I have to agree with Mike @ mikesradiorepair.
The export blackbox radios are junk. Its why i run a 1991 cobra 29 philly.
But that is just my opinion..... we all have one.

The guys who have a ticket will tell you the same.
All it takes is a 100 watt rig and the show is on.

Good Luck.

Its a mack . 5 - 10 miles depending on band conditions..
To a base unit from 20 to 100 miles again depends on band conditions.
AM is not very effiecient. Best bet is ssb. My favorite is 75 meters .
I dont run my ts-50 kenwood because of slip seating .

If you drive the same truck get a General class license if you dont already have one.
I really enjoy hf ssb . I have to agree with Mike @ mikesradiorepair.
The export blackbox radios are junk. Its why i run a 1991 cobra 29 philly.
But that is just my opinion..... we all have one.

The guys who have a ticket will tell you the same.
All it takes is a 100 watt rig and the show is on.

Good Luck.
I agree about "black box exports" being junk from the factory but would venture to say that Mike pushes that issue so much because he is unable to make many improvements over stock, and would rather blame the manufacturer than his own lack of skill. 300hz-5000hz 4 watt signal at 40 miles or so. Imagine what kind of receiver modifications it would take to hear a weak signal like this in a predictable manner.

4 watt signal at 40 miles or so. Imagine what kind of receiver modifications it would take to hear a weak signal l

LOL ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I used to do stuff like that regularly with a unmodified Cobra 25 with just 4 watts and 2 firestick antennas on a Volvo truck. Your map shows terrain which plays a big part of it especially when talking to a base station. Many I times I would talk to the CB shop that used to be at exit 66 in Kingman Az from the top of the hill past Seligman Az which is easily over 50 miles by road but less because of the terrain. There is no way I could do that on wide open flat ground and neither can you on just 4 watts.

This was all done over 20 years ago while Mark Sherman was driving trucks doing his road dope and learning how to "tweak" a CB radio. Now he just "tweaks" while he works on a radio. Of course those CB shops in Kingman Az are long gone since Mark stepped off a truck and opened his first CB shop and put them out of business with his quality work.

There is no magic to what he does. If he is truly a radio God, he should be designing radios and making a real living. We all know you're caught up under his spell and no one can break you from it.

To bad you don't run out west and where we could meet up one day and you can show me in person how great his receive mods are.

I agree about "black box exports" being junk from the factory but would venture to say that Mike pushes that issue so much because he is unable to make many improvements over stock, and would rather blame the manufacturer than his own lack of skill. 300hz-5000hz 4 watt signal at 40 miles or so. Imagine what kind of receiver modifications it would take to hear a weak signal like this in a predictable manner.

Mike is very professional in his work and videos.
Most of the guys on AM run alot of power.
It has Nothing to do with the radio or reciever,
Its all about band conditions.

Mike is very professional in his work and videos.
Most of the guys on AM run alot of power.
It has Nothing to do with the radio or reciever,
Its all about band conditions.
Conditions or "luck" only apply to things that can't be replicated at will seven days a week 365 days a year. An "export" radio with a receiver noise floor of .0399uv doesn't occur by accident, nor is it something most people will ever get to experience since not very many techs can achieve it without drastically reducing the dynamic range of the receiver.
If you're making reference to String Bean I guess you missed the point with his dramatic entry. The whole point of the recording had nothing to do with Stringbean, but was to document the receiver sensitivity of Jason's radio being able to hear my 4 watt signal at such a great distance under such adverse conditions as we had that day. Me being able to predict that we would be able to hear string bean from California was just an added bonus but distracts attention from the point of the recording. If that's what you are referring to in regards to conditions yes you are correct that conditions were involved in being able to hear Stringbean, but keep in mind that almost everybody in California runs on channel 17 and had those same conditions yet nobody else in California seemed to be making the trip. ( some of us require smaller Windows of opportunity than others, but that's a different topic altogether )
but conditions had nothing to do with Jason being able to hear me at such a great distance with so much noise coming in. In fact all that noise coming in made it much more difficult for Jason to hear me at that distance, so on a day with less noise it would be much easier for Jason to hear me at that same distance.

Last edited:
Jason recorded the thing from his Kenworth. He had his phone sitting next to his speaker recording everything. I was the guy talking to him.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.