• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best portable base cb antenna

The Sirio GainMaster isn't what comes to my mind when the word 'portable' is used in the same sentence.

However, a A99 or an Imax 2000 does come to mind when I think of the word 'portable'.

That's kind of what I was thinking, I don't know how hard it would be to pull apart in the center and fold in half or if it is even possible without damaging something.... I was just thinking it may be better because it is more plug and play because it is supposed to be balanced.

THIS

give this a try with your 1/4 wave:

http://www.bencher.com/pdfs/00361ZZV.pdf

at the very end of page 3 and into page 4 are some mobile home and rv install tips.

AND THIS-
"Fortunately, the metal bodies of both MHz and RVs can be used as highly conducting ground planes for
vertical antennas in exactly the same way that automobile bodies, etc., provide the ground system for
shorter vertical antennas for mobile operation."

If only this were true, unfortunately my RV is fiberglass.

Look underneath, see that massive frame there?

it be worth a try before spending any more moola,

other wise the gainmaster at 20 feet as you planned would probably work for you as you would not need a counter poise for that antenna.

your mileage may vary

if you are eager to spend the 200+ bucks then go for it...i just donot think that the longer vertical is going to gain you much or enough to make a difference, if i had the time i would mount the 1/4 wave as recommended by bencher and try the rv frame as ground(counterpoise) what have you got to loose? a few hours of work? oops i forgot this is a hobby!!!

don't get me wrong, i do like the gainmaster antenna(even though i don't own one) it should be an ease to install and i may get one someday, but as long as mother nature provides me with dx contacts i will continue to do it as cheaply as i can- gratification.

best of luck

if you are eager to spend the 200+ bucks then go for it...i just donot think that the longer vertical is going to gain you much or enough to make a difference, if i had the time i would mount the 1/4 wave as recommended by bencher and try the rv frame as ground(counterpoise) what have you got to loose? a few hours of work? oops i forgot this is a hobby!!!

don't get me wrong, i do like the gainmaster antenna(even though i don't own one) it should be an ease to install and i may get one someday, but as long as mother nature provides me with dx contacts i will continue to do it as cheaply as i can- gratification.

best of luck

i was typing while you posted

Don't discount homers suggestion on page one, I've suggested the same to other people before, one. Hap posted his vids on YouTube and did very well with it as a portable antenna, how you deploy the antenna is up to you, however you'll need a non conductive support for the main elements right down to the coax choke/coil. In the UK we have a good source of fibreglass telescopic fishing poles up to 10m in length (good enough for a 1/4WL on 40m).

Good luck with whichever method/antenna you choose ;)

Don't discount homers suggestion on page one, I've suggested the same to other people before, one. Hap posted his vids on YouTube and did very well with it as a portable antenna, how you deploy the antenna is up to you, however you'll need a non conductive support for the main elements right down to the coax choke/coil. In the UK we have a good source of fibreglass telescopic fishing poles up to 10m in length (good enough for a 1/4WL on 40m).

Good luck with whichever method/antenna you choose ;)

I just wish I could get my hands on some aluminum pipe on the cheap.

I didn't think hardware stores would carry aluminum, I will have to check. I may put up a vertical dipole then for local stuff, and put a horizontal dipole below it for DX. The only problem is by the time I buy the 2nd coax and the supplies for 2 dipoles I could almost buy the gain master.... Life has too many options! (y)

As much as I like the GM, I can't say it would make the best choice for a portable base antenna. If you plan on taking it up down a lot, consider it does not come apart and reassemble as easy as other fiberglass antennas. You have to feed that wire harness through all the sections of fiberglass.

Reactions: 3 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.