• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BEST STOCK UNAMPLIFIED CB HAND MIKE

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
I have a bunch of CB hand mikes (about 20 or so) from various manufacturers. I want to test them for output and freq response to find the best performer for my voice. In the past I put a 600 ohm load across each mike output , and ran a 400 hz to 5khz audio sweep thru the mikes. Recorded each trace on my scope for comparison. Back then, the Superscope CMP22 mike produced the highest output, and its freq response was best suited to my voice.

I just purchased a lot of mikes at a ham radio flea market here and want to test them out.

My question is what do you guys think of my test procedure ?? Is it OK, or should I change things up to get better results. I don't want to consider a studio mike. First of all because I'm a cheap-ass, and 2nd because I'm not looking for hi-fi cb. I just want my audio to be loud and clear (especially clear).

I have mikes from Sears, RCA, Motorola, Browning, Midland, HyGain, GE, Cobra, Johnson, Realistic, and several others.

Any suggestions ??

J.J. 399

Last edited:

I test for the best mic by listening to the transmit audio on a second radio with headphones and no antenna. I thought about making a selector box to switch between microphones quickly, just haven't gotten around to it yet. For non amplified microphones with Ranger/ Uniden/ Cobra radios, the Astatic 636 is usually the winner for me.

For President / Anytone/ Stryker with the factory electret mic, an electret element from a telephone handset is my choice. Radios without electret option can be modified to make the electret work.

Check this out. Fletcher-Munson curves. They are equal loudness curves based on what the average ear hears, and it is not linear. Good microphones should not have a flat response.

Edit: but I dont think they should perfectly compensate for that curve either, it might sound unnatural if it does. Maybe just boost the lows some. The highs that the chart suggests need to be boosted are outside the audio passband anyhow.

edit2: thinking about that more, it may be better to filter down some of the 2kHz and then amplify all of it because the loudest part is also the narrowest.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of CB hand mikes (about 20 or so) from various manufacturers. I want to test them for output and freq response to find the best performer for my voice. In the past I put a 600 ohm load across each mike output , and ran a 400 hz to 5khz audio sweep thru the mikes. Recorded each trace on my scope for comparison. Back then, the Superscope CMP22 mike produced the highest output, and its freq response was best suited to my voice.

I just purchased a lot of mikes at a ham radio flea market here and want to test them out.

My question is what do you guys think of my test procedure ?? Is it OK, or should I change things up to get better results. I don't want to consider a studio mike. First of all because I'm a cheap-ass, and 2nd because I'm not looking for hi-fi cb. I just want my audio to be loud and clear (especially clear).

I have mikes from Sears, RCA, Motorola, Browning, Midland, HyGain, GE, Cobra, Johnson, Realistic, and several others.

Any suggestions ??

J.J. 399
Out of all the stock mics that I have used or owned the handheld mic for the Yaesu 101 radio is fantastic. Everybody tells me that the audio is great.

others have told me of all the mikes i have the turner +3b and the ssk sounds best on my pesident wshington and tram d300,, on my ratrodded ugly as heck 2 dollar yard sale special cobra 29 i think gtl, has had many face lifts,,, i run a probably 30+year old roadking telex/turner 56, they say it sounds the best,,, i also like the cobra coffin mike too,,, side note all these years and only had to replace the foam pop cover in rk56 twice,,,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.