• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

better radio

after my experince if it is branded yaesu ,leave it be.

Reactions: binrat
after my experince if it is branded yaesu ,leave it be.

Maybe some current models…then again your talking a uhf/vhf transceiver. I have no complaints about my FT400dxr. No it doesn’t put out quite the specified output by a whopping 5 watts but it’s been solid for over a year, both as a mobile and base.

Having owned many flavors of FT-1000 radios I never had a complaint about any of them. My favorite was the FT-1000D. This is still a sought after transceiver and a beautiful classic for sure.

Reactions: Rwb
Thing to remember EARLY versions of FT1000's / FT1000D and FT1000MP's are now pretty much dead parts wise...
Even best Yaesu guys WILL NOT work on them...
SOME PARTS on unobtanium list...(finals/drivers to name a few)
Same with many ICOM's...nowadays if more than 15 years old...
PARTS are getting rare.
The BIG 3 ...have be pretty much PURGED factory stock parts after 7 years...(+/- date of last production run)
Yes that sucks...but look at computer industry...chips 3-4 years old are Junk and out of stock...
AUTO industry...7 years pretty much dealers sell them off.
Just the way market works anymore.

Reactions: r carl and Rwb
Yes Lou: FT-1000 series were Excellent Radios!...Receivers were ahead of their time. Nothing could beat them. Still fine equipment, same with the Yaesu FT-920/FT-950 series radios. Good equipment.
One just has to remember age and "fixability". I am trying to decide now weather to keep my ONE owner (I purchased NIB like 15+ years ago) FT-950 or sell it off.
Same goes with my FT-920.
Either sell off or do like I did with my old Kenwood gear and start looking for "parts" rigs to have around so can keep things going if it fails.
Both excellent rigs, with no issues!
BUT! like the FT-950 uses (I think) 2879 transistors in final PA deck...Blow them and cost $$$!
The rig is worth maybe $600(+/-) USD to keep it!
Cost of Driver and Finals be close to half that before labor!:eek::mad:
So one must justify, this when buying one of these Fine Older units.
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

The Final PA transistors and the PLL/Receiver chips are the headache with the FT-1000 series rigs.
Same with ICOM, Early PRO series gear (746/Pro/and 756 units) Display units also!

I have been an HF operator since back in January and have a FT 1000D. I really like it good recieve and puts out 200 watts on all the bands i have used. Its a big heavy radio but thats what i like lol. If you can find a good one for a good price go for it.

Yes Lou: FT-1000 series were Excellent Radios!...Receivers were ahead of their time. Nothing could beat them. Still fine equipment, same with the Yaesu FT-920/FT-950 series radios. Good equipment.
One just has to remember age and "fixability". I am trying to decide now weather to keep my ONE owner (I purchased NIB like 15+ years ago) FT-950 or sell it off.
Same goes with my FT-920.
Either sell off or do like I did with my old Kenwood gear and start looking for "parts" rigs to have around so can keep things going if it fails.
Both excellent rigs, with no issues!
BUT! like the FT-950 uses (I think) 2879 transistors in final PA deck...Blow them and cost $$$!
The rig is worth maybe $600(+/-) USD to keep it!
Cost of Driver and Finals be close to half that before labor!:eek::mad:
So one must justify, this when buying one of these Fine Older units.
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

The Final PA transistors and the PLL/Receiver chips are the headache with the FT-1000 series rigs.
Same with ICOM, Early PRO series gear (746/Pro/and 756 units) Display units also!

From what I have found and read online the FT-950 uses the Mitsubishi RD100HHF1 mosfet, still some in stock at RFparts for $65 a pop.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated