• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bow your heads in pity

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
I've had a 'Walt Williams' power supply for a little over 35 years, yesterday it died. You'd have to have had one to understand, it's been a work horse.
It's a 70 amp power supply (at least!), and hasn't been turned off for more than a week in that 35 years. I told him I wanted a 70 amp supply and that's what he calibrated the meters for. It will do (did) well over that amount of current. Shorted it once with a 7 foot ground strap once. Turned that strap to ashes and never even 'grunted', you could weld with it. Mr. Williams has been gone for a number of years, ain't never gonna find another one.
It's big. Secondary windings on the transformer are the size of your little finger, ugly, weighs something like 60 pounds. I've run several radios off of it at the same time with no trouble at all. @#$, now what the hell am I gonna do?
- 'Doc

(Sympathy is best expressed with cash...)

Well you could ship the ugly thing to me and I will look after disposal for you. I realize it may be too emotional for you to do so yourself. Then you could look at getting a deal from MFJ on another one. :whistle:

W5YUO, as far as I know, is still alive and well. I saw his wife at the Belton, TX hamfest at the end of March of this year. And I "thought" I overheard someone talking to her and she said he was out in the outdoor fleamarket looking around. I too own one of his "70 amp" supplies and like yours, it is built like a tank. And you probably could weld with it.
If I were you, I'd fix that puppy and get another 35 years out of it. Or, you might look him up on QRZ and see if he really is still around and would be willing to fix it for you.
Trucker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.