• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA, how to shorten "PING"?

Adamf

Jan 20, 2016
Hi all, I acquired a Browning Golden Eagle Mark IVA to play with and want to shorten or eliminate the "ping". I am guessing that someone may have put a high microfarad cap in at one point to increase the ping but I would like to shorten or eliminate it. I believe you would put in a lower micro-farad capacitor, does anyone know which one to change and what to change it to? Thanks for any help.

Adam

Find pin 6 on V206, the 6AQ5 speaker-amplifier tube socket.

The foil trace leading away from this pin is where the positive side of the ping cap is connected. Sometimes you'll find it simply lap-soldered to this foil trace.

The schematic shows C243 connected here, marked 2 uf. If that spot on the top side of the pc board is empty, your ping cap has been located somewhere else.

Some receivers have one section of the mode selector wired to that foil trace, with a wire leading to one 4uf cap for AM and another that's selected in sideband modes. They're on a tie strip at the rear edge of the main receiver pc board, under the deck. This is also a common place to connect a larger-than-stock cap to get a long ping. The ping can be really annoying on sideband, and this lets you wire that cap for AM only.

But since the ping cap is not factory installed, where you find it is the result of a custom mod, not a factory standard.

Why would you want to reduce or turn off the Browning Ping? This is old school CB radio antics, I have heard modified some how Ping sound that was just great. Each to his own I guess.

Back in the late 1960's while working on dead ol Dads Fishing boat running up and down the Pacific Coast fishing for Albacore Tuna, we could always hear a guy named CC out of Derks Ar with a loud Gink-Gonk who we could hear and talk to from Mexico to Washing State. This was all on CH15 AM, using a General Radiotelephone Super MC-11A radio, a Palomar 150 amp, and a 2element quad antenna. Guess this was burned into my head at a young age. Gink-Gonk Oh there's CC in Ar!

I am sure your millage will vary....

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Nomadradio (or others familiar), perhaps you can help again, I opened up the radio and see the 2uf/450 plus a 40uf/450 + a 100uf/450 and I am attaching a picture, I am not bright enough to determine if or how perhaps the 40uf or 100uf comes in to play with the beep, I am thinking the 40uf might but not sure what to do i\f I want to eliminate the ping for now too see if that's it? Thanks, again for any help. Adam

Attachments

• IMG_5970.JPG
    IMG_5970.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
The one marked "100/450" appears to be your ping capacitor.

If you take it loose, remember that this point in the circuit where it's attached needs to have a small capacitor from there to ground. A value of 2uf or 4uf will do the job The one in the pic is probably wired to the SSB side, probably. You could simply jumper the + end of the 2uf cap to the spot where the 100uf part is mounted.

The reason for that tiny 2uf cap is to make the 6AQ5 tube behave properly. The large cap used to make it ping does this job just fine.

But if you cut the large capacitor loose from the circuit, you need the small one, even though it's too small to produce a ping. It's needed to get proper audio quality from the 6AQ5 tube.

And if you just choose to shorten the ping with a cap smaller than 100uf, you don't need the small one. It's only necessary if there is no ping capacitor connected at all.

Reactions: NightTrain
Hi Nomad radio man, so I take the + end of the 2uf and jumper it to where the 100uf + was, yes? Adam

OK, got it and it works, PING is gone, I will order perhaps a 20uf cap so the PING will be back but not as long, does that make sense? Thanks, Adam

A 20 uf ping will be short.

Bear in mind that this kind of capacitor frequently has a really wide tolerance range. Unless it has "10%" printed on it, the actual measured value could be two-thirds of the number marked on it, might be half-again more. Makes it hard to predict how long your ping will be just from the marked value on a cap. We tend to try a new ping cap with gator-clip leads before soldering it in place, especially if the customer is on hand to ask "is that long enough?".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio