• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bubba-Tech Parabolic Dish Antenna

secret squirrel

Lustrous Potentate
Oct 5, 2008
Washington, PA
This is just my imagination and coffee deficiency this morning, My older brother had an old school original satellite TV dish back in the 1990s. It was laying at the edge of his yard on the ground for years. This is in no way practical, but has anyone ever tried to make a Vertical 11 meter Dipole, bend lower leg make it directional and mount in the center of dish.. Then set the dish contraption back up in place and aim it as needed. If I had the room I might try it just to tell the neighbors I have Satellite CB. What's the goofiest home brew, beer driven antennas you all ever made in the garage?

Reactions: Crawdad

Sure you could do it, if you got the money.
The Stanford Research Institute has a dish that works down to 150mhz.
They built this 150-foot-diameter dish in 1961.
The cost to construct the antenna was $4.5 million, and was funded by the United States Air Force.
You would just have to scale it for 27 Mhz and get a few friends to help with the cost.
Just buy a Stargun antenna from Troy and mount it on a Honda Prius, that's goofy enough to impress the neighborhood........

Lol

Jeff

How about the Direct Drive Ring Radiator?

P1030073s2.jpg

If you want to build a dish here's a calculator to help you figure out how big a dish you'll need to get a particular gain number at a given frequency:

I played with it a bit. You're going to need a huge dish to beat the claimed dB gain of beam antennas. You could probably build something smaller, similar to the "Elephant Ear" antenna I saw an ad for years ago. But the performance may not be up to par.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
If you had a 10' or 12' C Band dish it would seem to me that mounting a whip across the diameter of the dish would make it directional, no? Would probably be a hell of a job to get the match down.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.