• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bumpin up to a 1k

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Well taking the plunge and found a deal on a AL-80b .. Its used and in real nice shape, tube is strong and it was 1/2 the price of a new one so I am a happy camper. Now to sell the 811...

You will enjoy that amp.

I have the SB-1000, I keep my drive down around 50 to 60 watts and that amp loafs at 600 to 800 watts depending on what band I am on.

I think you'll like that amplifier. If it's possible, run it on 240vac, just makes things 'stiffer'. Also run it conservatively, at least until you get familiar with it. There are one or two other 'mods' (Rich Measures thingys) that can make it 'better', but not really any huge hurry to do them, if at all. That's a really nice amplifier.
- 'Doc

Ok here are some pictures of the AL-80B amp. I just opened it up today to convert it to 220 v . The guy I bought it from converted it to 110v for me so I could use it until my 220v line was in. It also looks like it has been converted a couple of times. Anyway the inside is in nice condition, a little dusty but not bad. It has a Taylor 3-500 ZG tube in it. It was purchased by the original owner in March of 2005.
I havent seen anything close to 1k so I am guessing the tube might be a little week, but it does do 700 to 750 at about 70 watts of drive ..

AL80B-1.JPG

AL80B-2.JPG

AL80B-3.JPG

AL80B-4.JPG

AL80B-5.JPG

On 10 that's acceptable for output. The Ameritron line IS NOT KNOWN for efficiency on 10 meters. You can change the plate tank tap for that, but if you DON'T know what you're doing, I wouldn't.

Can you check it on 40 meters, or even better on 80? Should produce about 1Kw to 1100 on 80 meters.

--Toll_Free

Also compare the difference between running on 220v vs. 110v.

I was loosing 400 on HV while on 110 now I only loose 100 to 200 HV on 220 v so it is operating more efficient on 220v.

I also was just talking with someone on 80m and he said to use the Internal Tuner to tune the radio to the amp and it should improve. Well he was right, even though the radio was showing a 1.2 or 1.3 to the amp using the internal tuner to tune the radio to the amp has yielded just over 1k on SSB ..

I think I'd recheck that plate voltage again. "just under 450" is kind'a high when under load! Something closer to 2800v is much more like it (just under 300 on the Ip scale with the meter in HV).
- 'Doc

(BTW, Ip X Vp = output power. That's not Pep.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.