• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Buying a new radio

347boiseidaho

Jan 6, 2019
I'm new to CB radio and I am currently running a barefoot Uniden BC980SSB. It's been peaked and turned by a guy in my home town and I get great reports on how it sounds. My antenna is a Wilson 5000 fender mount. I am addicted to shooting skip and as a result I ordered a custom BC980SSB with a 250 watt box from Lester's Custom Trucks. Anyway my question is; Did I go through the right builder as I'm into everything for a pretty penny and I want to know that I made the right decision. I did a lot of research before I purchased the radio and I feel like I made the right choice. Thanks for your help and your opinions.

well...should have asked that question "BEFORE" you placed the order!....Little late now don't ya think? :whistle:
You're right I should have posted the question before I made the purchase. However I was not a member of the forum then. I didn't know that there were forums like this as I'm not on the internet a lot. Like I said I'm new to the CB hobby and I'm still wet behind the ears so to speak. Anyway thanks for your opinion.

Reactions: 357magnum
I would be interested in seeing the output of your radio on a spectrum analyzer.
I'm sure you did not know that most of the watts coming out of your radio are what I call ghost watts. The reason I call them ghost watts is because they are not going to received by any CB radio. A waste of money on your part and probably going to burn your final transistor out.

Try it out. Find what pleasure available. Seriously.

Lesscomm stays in business.

Now, if it’s not what you wanted, start over. I’d bet everyone here has at least once (naw, A DOZEN TIMES!).

You’ll want to research and improve systems. Clean DC power and “best” antenna system. That’s a given for any radio.

And, welcome!

First, I'd like to welcome you to the forum.

As you can see it's quite active with members willing to help. As you have already seen here, the member base has got some experience behind them when it comes to trying to steer you in the right direction.

I also can see that you posted some comments in the dxChat room - good idea. There are a lot of people that monitor this site and the chatroom too.

So you wish to become a licensed operator? Good idea. It can help when it comes to showing proficiency-it may not be the sheepskin of college but it does show you know what you're doing.

You mentioned getting a Tech class license, well that can get your foot in the door in regards to resources made available for the new arrival. Yes, it may seem a bit basic but it's meant that you are new and they wish to provide you with the best choices for your further development. Please note that your better options are to study more for the Tech to Upgrade to General courses and learn to fly from there. Not everyone is up to that so don't sweat details you may not need to pursue - we don't want to see you get overwhelmed - but we also understand that there is a LOT of information you need to absorb and work the kinks out of as you build your own strengths in this area of electronics and RF studies. Take your time - crashing for an exam may help or it can get you burp up the pizza from the night before - one is to pass the other is just passing.

We wish you the best in your search for life on this planet - that suits you. We hope that you find your stay here a good experience - you may find some bumps and potholes at times but like any planet you visit, there will always be some form of terraforming that others may not like. Some of the member group here are pretty hard core radio enthusiasts as they are also Amateurs or even professional Technicians that are lurking around here to help and can offer advice and solutions from their own resources and experiences.

Stay as long as you'd like - and feel free to ask questions.

All the best to you and your endeavor.

:+> Andy <+:

Try it out. Find what pleasure available. Seriously.

Lesscomm stays in business.

Now, if it’s not what you wanted, start over. I’d bet everyone here has at least once (naw, A DOZEN TIMES!).

You’ll want to research and improve systems. Clean DC power and “best” antenna system. That’s a given for any radio.

And, welcome!

Thanks Slowmover, I hope I made the right decision the first time, the wife might not let me try again!

First, I'd like to welcome you to the forum.

As you can see it's quite active with members willing to help. As you have already seen here, the member base has got some experience behind them when it comes to trying to steer you in the right direction.

I also can see that you posted some comments in the dxChat room - good idea. There are a lot of people that monitor this site and the chatroom too.

So you wish to become a licensed operator? Good idea. It can help when it comes to showing proficiency-it may not be the sheepskin of college but it does show you know what you're doing.

You mentioned getting a Tech class license, well that can get your foot in the door in regards to resources made available for the new arrival. Yes, it may seem a bit basic but it's meant that you are new and they wish to provide you with the best choices for your further development. Please note that your better options are to study more for the Tech to Upgrade to General courses and learn to fly from there. Not everyone is up to that so don't sweat details you may not need to pursue - we don't want to see you get overwhelmed - but we also understand that there is a LOT of information you need to absorb and work the kinks out of as you build your own strengths in this area of electronics and RF studies. Take your time - crashing for an exam may help or it can get you burp up the pizza from the night before - one is to pass the other is just passing.

We wish you the best in your search for life on this planet - that suits you. We hope that you find your stay here a good experience - you may find some bumps and potholes at times but like any planet you visit, there will always be some form of terraforming that others may not like. Some of the member group here are pretty hard core radio enthusiasts as they are also Amateurs or even professional Technicians that are lurking around here to help and can offer advice and solutions from their own resources and experiences.

Stay as long as you'd like - and feel free to ask questions.

All the best to you and your endeavor.

:+> Andy <+:
Thanks Andy

Thanks Slowmover, I hope I made the right decision the first time, the wife might not let me try again!
Rest assured, there will be plenty compulsively motivated decisions in the future regardless of any previous research. The good news is, once you have collected a pile of radios, it’s becomes easier to sneak further buys past your wife without her noticing anything different. :rolleyes:

First off welcome.
I got 980 bearcats peaked n tuned .they work great and i get many good reports on them.i dont have an amp either but shoot skip some n they are great little radios

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.