• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Buying a new radio

isnt that the whole point of CB, short range comms?
maybe for some...Personally I like to be able to talk to anybody I can hear on one...If that person is 1 mile away, or 30 miles away, or 400 miles away, I like to be able to make the contact...and 9 times out of 10, I can....I also don't run a ton of watts...200-400 (1x2) get's me where i want to be in the mobile.

I highly disagree. Many others and I use radios with no amplifiers and have no problem whatsoever.

Not while mobile in a fleet truck. Typical big metro in afternoon traffic. 30W is getting the door to open.

Dallas/Fort Worth is over 100-miles wide. Problem reports can dry up quickly. So when one just barely catches a report, that may have been the one guy you’ll hear far enough from the problem to take action. If he hears you, you can get the pertinent details.

When he can’t hear you — time after time — that’s when you turn off the radio in resignation.

Treading water in an Olympic pool is one thing. White-capped waves in the ocean bay quite another.

Last edited:
Rest assured, there will be plenty compulsively motivated decisions in the future regardless of any previous research. The good news is, once you have collected a pile of radios, it’s becomes easier to sneak further buys past your wife without her noticing anything different. :rolleyes:

It’s all about the toolbox & gearbag. Any householder husband needs a dedicated electrical toolbox. Multimeter, crimping pliers, etc. Rolls of wire in the gearbag. Split loom.

And who’s to know the difference between solid core Romex and fine strand? Or 12V items versus 120V.

Start throwing “good, used” items in that there gear bag. Sow confusion.

I use a whole range of BUCKET BOSS Gladstone bags. And fishing lure clear plastic stackers.

It is a mobile setup, BC980SSB with a Wilson 5000 antenna
I've heard good things about the Uniden 980's, specially the ssb is suppose to be pretty good...Not allot of mods available for them from what I have read (which is probably a good thing!) Not a power-house radio by itself, but would be with just a small Amp...Wilson 5000's IMO are hit and miss...but should be a good match with the 980.

Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb
I've heard good things about the Uniden 980's, specially the ssb is suppose to be pretty good...Not allot of mods available for them from what I have read (which is probably a good thing!) Not a power-house radio by itself, but would be with just a small Amp...Wilson 5000's IMO are hit and miss...but should be a good match with the 980.
The radio is getting tuned on an O'scope, clarifier mod and unlocked, the amp is a Hornet 250 watt peak with ssb bias. My current swr is 1.1:1 on channels 1 and 40, tuned with an antenna analyzer.

well good for you! But if this is a mobile set-up, a bone stock CB Radio on channel 19 is not going to be heard past 10 miles to another mobile without a little help most of the time...
if im on 19 i dont expect much range,kinda like ch.6 holy crap thats just a uhh jungle

Reactions: 357magnum
Wonder how he gets out of charging tax?

RW, you running around with a walkie talkie with a 6ft telescopic antenna, you trying to fool who?

19, the super trucker network. It can be pretty hard to cut through all the cry babies on there sometimes.

When im in big trucks i usually have a ribbed box full of assistance going up a browning coil antenna.
Oh hey that new antler i told you about increased my range a good 20 plus miles too

When I get my new setup do I tune the antenna with the amp on or off? Or do I tune it first with the amp of and then a fine tune with the amp on?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.