• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Caboverbob microphone adventure

Well I cleaned up and tried the Astatic Trucker II today - no exact battery replacement available locally, pieced together a 7.5v in place of the stock 10v unit. Key the radio and it does key up, but zero modulation.

Installed a battery in the Aries power mic. Local said that I was way overmodulated even turned down to setting "2". Switched back to the SRA-198 and put a smile on his face.

What to do tomorrow..........

For the past couple of weeks it seems that I wake up to a new Fleabay listing for a 575 almost daily, most of them $200 or more. I cannot stand what I consider price gouging, so I really haven't come across one that is in my price range yet. Yesterday while running the highway, a couple of locals came on, one of them with a new/old mic asking for opinions. I personally felt that he was very flat and zero bottom end, turns out he was on a 575, now I'm not looking quite as hard.......

Ironically, I had literally a few hours earlier put an old Telex RK-56 on, so I asked for a report, and the guy did a short audio gate and played it back. I naturally sound like Kermit, but this mic reproduced my voice as close to natural as any others that I have tried.

Time to wake up and grind, 73 fellas......

Todd

I personally felt that he was very flat and zero bottom end, turns out he was on a 575, now I'm not looking quite as hard.......
Bob,
The Astatic 575M6 has tone control adjust as well as volume. Did the local mention where the tone control was set?

If that falls through let me know. I am in Arizona, but I can help however is needed to a degree. I have a decent collection of these types of mics. I use them all in an alternating fashion. lol I have the Truckers and the Trucker II. They are quite a nice mic! Better than anything produced these days, and truly noise canceling!

I have two, and one works and one does not. I suspect the element, but I didnt feel the need to dig too deep. Could be a bad cap etc. I have used it a few times and get the same impression of it as I do any older Turner power mic.. Good stuff. Now, it is larger due to the either different element or the stuffing they put in front of it. For some reason they potted the front grill, so some day I will be doing surgery. I am unsure exactly how legit the “noise cancellating” is on these. I know how they did it on the Astatic Truckers, but not these Turner’s as of yet.

Reactions: Cabover Bob
Been running this Telex Turner RK-56 for a couple of weeks now and I really like it. I got real used to the hanger on the SRA-198, so this is my attempt to recreate it using a #35 chain link and a 1/4" x 1/4" x #6 spacer.

Attachments

• 20220203_101032.jpg
    20220203_101032.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220203_101057.jpg
    20220203_101057.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220203_101111.jpg
    20220203_101111.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Find a used clean "Extreme 2018" microphone. This is one microphone I will never let go of in my radio stable. It is a well engineered product with a perfect frequency response of 200-3000hz. Yes it has noise toys built in for fun, but that is not why I prize it. It has a beautiful frequency response and you can dial in a very low level of echo that does not sound like echo but adds intellibility and depth to the users voice. They call it a "stadium effect" on this microphone but dial it in very low like both controls set on 1. Don't want the effect set them both to zero. Want to irritate someone dial em both up to 3. A used super clean one or NIB is worth about $65-$70. This is one of the best hand power microphones sold in recent years. It's discontinued, but there is used ones out there. This was a sleeper microphone meaning many did not know what a perfect communication microphone it was for the price. Everything about this microphone for communications is spot on. It also has a switch for electronic noise cancelling and it works perfect when needed to eliminate background noise. No knock offs that look the same under a different name, you have to find the real thing. Thought and engineering was put into this microphone and it's amazing by today's standards.

"If you get one never let it go"
Scored one on Fleabay today......

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.