• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Calling on some wisdom from the group....

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
I have what I am calling a labor of love to do. A few years back a friend of my son Tim (Skip... who owned Outlaws Toy Radio CB Shop) died of a heart attack in his mobile repair van while working on a radio..... parked at home. A short while later... his wife let Tim come over and take whatever he wanted out of Skip's van. His one radio choice was an original 858 Washington with channels and all. Tim will soon be getting to set up a spare room as his "radio shack" and wants that radio in it. He has asked me to "recap it", "put it back to stock" and "align it".

I just bought an electrolytic cap kit from @Klondike Mike (thanks Mike) and am wondering if anyone has any tips on 1- are there any tantalums that it would be wise to replace, and 2- anything else that one might look at while in there.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

My suggestion is to get yourself a parts rig if you don't already have one.

you may need a crystal or some other part that is almost impossible to find, and chances are there are missing parts if the radio has been modded.

also be sure to check for L6 and the associated crystal filter.
i can't remember if Washingtons had them from the factory or not, but you're going to want that mod if not.

as for cap values, you can increase the value of the two caps that come right off of VCC, but don't go crazy upping the values of all the filter caps for the various zener regulated circuits.

I like to do 399's relay on the power switch mod, as those alps pots are impossible to find replacements for, and using one from another old radio isn't necessarily going to be a reliable option.
it's on his page.

as a general rule, there are more than a few super tiny circuit traces on some of the caps you'll be replacing and you really have to be careful of heat and time on these to avoid lifting them.

that plastic film piece that connects the channel selector to the PLL is super easy to burn and/or damage so be very careful when working around it.

the power supplies in these base stations run pretty darn warm, so replacing heat sink grease on the TO-3 transistor and the rectifier is imperative.

hope that helps!
LC

Reactions: guitar_199
My suggestion is to get yourself a parts rig if you don't already have one.

you may need a crystal or some other part that is almost impossible to find, and chances are there are missing parts if the radio has been modded.

also be sure to check for L6 and the associated crystal filter.
i can't remember if Washingtons had them from the factory or not, but you're going to want that mod if not.

as for cap values, you can increase the value of the two caps that come right off of VCC, but don't go crazy upping the values of all the filter caps for the various zener regulated circuits.

I like to do 399's relay on the power switch mod, as those alps pots are impossible to find replacements for, and using one from another old radio isn't necessarily going to be a reliable option.
it's on his page.

as a general rule, there are more than a few super tiny circuit traces on some of the caps you'll be replacing and you really have to be careful of heat and time on these to avoid lifting them.

that plastic film piece that connects the channel selector to the PLL is super easy to burn and/or damage so be very careful when working around it.

the power supplies in these base stations run pretty darn warm, so replacing heat sink grease on the TO-3 transistor and the rectifier is imperative.

hope that helps!
LC
I appreciate every bit of it and thanks for taking the time to send it!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.