• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

camping and radio together

KD0GOJ

Jan 25, 2009
Just wondering if any one else take's radios with them on camping trips.
On a recent trip to bennent springs. I took my j-pole and ht with me to listen to the ham bands and police in the eve.
Had a Grand Time

KD0GOJ

I have taken my 2m. Also have taken FRS/GMRS radios to keep in touch with my kids . I like to camp in WVA and years ago sat and chatted with a guy in Fla. in my mobile . Elevation was great on those mountains. :)

PFFFFFFFTT!!! VHF radio stuff while camping is for girlies.:tongue: Be a real man and throw a wire up over some trees.Use a slingshot if you have too and if, make that WHEN, fellow campers ask WTF you are doing just tell them it's for yor radio. Next, drag the HF radio out to the picnic table and operate a little CW without headphones. It helps if you can display a "Warning! High Voltage." sign near the antenna wire/tuner. Listen carefully for RFI coming from your fellow camper's radios and if nothing is heard reorient the antenna until you do hear something. I guarentee you will either be visited by like minded hams or or be left alone completely. :w00t:

I didn't really want to mention that option as it would likely be that you would be asked rather impolitely. :D BTW I have done exactly as described above except for the warning sign before. I never knew just how many people have no idea whatsoever what ham radio is and that it is in fact NOT harmfull to the squirrels unless you actually catch the trees on fire with high voltage arcs from trying to tune the short random wire up on 80m. I never operated below 20m for that reason. (y)

Have radios...will camp
www_MyEmoticons_com__fishing.gif

Tend to primitive tent camp in the National Forest along a creek or other water, single site, and where I can have the vehicle right at the campsite. Have 10 & 11M rig and 2 meter in the truck anyway. Full HF mobile will have to wait for better times. Would like to have an Icom 706 Mark II G in the truck, and then would probably take a 40 meter dipole and throw it up a tree limb for an Inverted V.

Also have a AM/FM/SSB SW portable, Radio Slack DX402 with external antenna for various HF listening at night. Actually works pretty good.

Usually lots of wildlife around for target practice
t5.gif
beaverhug.gif
Any excuse is a good excuse to get out in the woods and blow out some city and suck up some country
treeswing.gif

Spent the last two weeks on the road between CA and IA. My radio had no hash in the RX at all. 11 meters only. Out in the countryside, I didn't need a heater at all - for RX or TX.
Sweet!

camping..

with 706MKIIG and 91D

is always good to use rdios while camping

and yes....so few know what ham radio is..
i always get the...what is all that stuff...LOL

goin camping next week as a matter of fact. gonna throw the 430 in the camper an gonna make another 20m vert dipole to hang from the trees. of course wife doesn't want me too, but OH WELL lmaoo Prolly put the radio on the table outside just to make her more aggravated. one day I will learn not to do that very often lmao

Camping without a radio? What's that? CB or Ham,either way I couldn't/wouldn't do without! I even take the good ol FRS/GMRS along just to get under her skin that much more! I also take along the MURS radios for what there is to listen to;not much of anything 'round here tho. Makes it nice for us too! The XYL is used to it anymore. Of course I gotta throw the classic rock on the boombox instead of country/pop that she prefers. Needless to say I get plenty of rest and peacefulness when she and I camp!!! I often wonder why "she" even goes camping w/me? Hi Hi......
Slim.:)

Thanks for the replies folks. And yes i got a few wierd looks from folks. Wish i had a hf rig to take with. But for now 2 meter and cb is all i got.
The campers next to me was not happy when i was able to tell them there son was pulled over and detained
KD0GOJ

The campers next to me was not happy when i was able to tell them there son was pulled over and detained
KD0GOJ

Good One

Also
ColdRolledGold I would rather just have a hot girl and lots of lube and booze

( i hear you..LOL )

I always take some kind of radio(s). I have break down verticals, wire, tuners, and of course my Jeep full of radio stuff. I usually bring a TNC also and can send email from anywhere...even out in the Mojave desert :)

I just went up in the moutains this weekend 4x4ing (didn't have time to camp) and was pleasantly surprised to find APRS digipeaters on the top of the mountains that picked me up at 5100 feet.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.