• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Camping Antenna

Remo

Sep 1, 2009
how much better would an antron 99 @ around 20 feet to the feed point be versus a 102" whip on the top of my pickup truck ??

i am contemplating on making a "camping antenna" but not if the work that goes into it doesnt justify the gain over a 102"

any help here ?

There would be some advantages to that 'A99', but I have no way of knowing how much that would be, too many variables. Would it be worth it? I don't know, would it?
- 'Doc

There would be some advantages to that 'A99', but I have no way of knowing how much that would be, too many variables. Would it be worth it? I don't know, would it?
- 'Doc

hmmm idk, would it ? thats exactly what im asking here.

I used a imax 2000 on a 21' pole attached to the bumper of my pickup and a predator 10-k in a mobile situation and the imax showed 5 s-units higher in all DX contacts I made that day.

The predator showed 1.1:1 match and the imax showed 1.5:1.

I agree with Doc that there are many variables that can affect your results. And I agree with everyone else to give it a whirl. I used to travel the country in a old Greyhound Bus motor home conversion. What you've described is exactly the setup I used. The results varied from one location to another, however in each case the A99 bested the mobile.
Git 'er dun.

Would it be a temporary or permanant setup? Have you considered a dipole at all. Most places where you camp have trees and you could throw a wire into a tree higher than 20'.

this would be a temporary set up only. yes i considered a dipole, but sometimes we camp in the desert... no trees to be had there.

basically what i had in mind was getting three 6 foot fence sections together and putting the antron on top.

i havent hashed out all the details yet, because i wanted to know if this would be even worth while to do.

Just get a big a$$ tripod and also guy it down so it doesnʻt tip over. Like said, it will do more than a 102.

You know, my dad used square tubing, mounted an Archer 2 piece base antenna to it and stuck it into the truck bed steak hole. Or you could jimmy up something that slides into the hitch receiver.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated