• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can anybody Help Me ID This Amp?

TopShot1

Apr 18, 2018
Picked this up at a garage sale for $50...No idea who the maker is...thought is was worth the chance. I haven't had a chance to look inside yet.

Thanks !!!

Attachments

• unknown linear amp.jpg
    unknown linear amp.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 90

This style amplifier was sold with the name "Palomar" and "Boomer" on them.

Inside you will probably find the ferrite transformers standing vertically above the circuit board, rather than laying flat against it.

Never did find out who actually made these.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Thanks for the replies everyone, I am out of town until this weekend, will open her up when I get back and see what I got....stay tuned.

I agree with Psycho , It's
marked " # 2 " ? Hmmm.... I wonder why ? Sorry seen way to many of these splatter boxes . Oh wait I have a few clones !:ROFLMAO: Ps , I mean you NO disrespect but if you paid $50 @ a yard sale ? Let's just say I hope for your sake it works .It doesn't seem like you tested it .

Last edited:
...temp tracking bias
do away with the Hi/Med/Low
correct the transformers
reinforce the B- rail
resurface the device mounting
Fans, 1U computer fans, two deep, full width, full shroud.
construct/add external LP filter
A "real" supply
then replace the transistors with DEI because the Toshibas are dead ...

:)

I have seen those clone amps with 2, 4 or 5 transistors. I once found a NIB Cobra 148 (Pre 1998) at a garage sale for $50 so that amp could be a great deal.

Reactions: 357magnum
This style amplifier was sold with the name "Palomar" and "Boomer" on them.

Inside you will probably find the ferrite transformers standing vertically above the circuit board, rather than laying flat against it.

I remember those, they had the name Gray as well.

[QUOTE="nomadradio, post: 625025,
73[/QUOTE]
I heard some guy in Texas used to make these amps with a variety of different names back in the 90's... Unsure of how true this is.. I'm sure someone on here can verify this.

Ok, here is the inside...super clean. I hooked it up on the base antenna and it seems like everything works. Have not thrown the meter on it yet, but talked to someone in Georgia ( I'm in Florida) and they said I sounded clear and loud. So for my needs ( i will be using in the car) it will work great, it draws low amps and has 3 power levels.

Let me know what you think....

Attachments

• 20180511_121739.jpg
    20180511_121739.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 20180511_121755.jpg
    20180511_121755.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
Looks like a 2 final Palomar 250 Elite with the 1446 finals. As previously stated these were also stamped with the name Boomer 250 and Gray 250. They were sold by Copper and H & Y back in the late 90's and early 2000's. That would be considered a low drive amp. Pretty sure it's class C with auto SSB delay. Not the best choice for dedicated SSB use but it will work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated