• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can anyone think of why sticking the below amplifier between the below transmitter and its antenna would not work ?

Also, I am very interested in REPEATERS that simply repeat the signal from A to B to C to D to E. So, A is the original detector. It sends the signal to B, who sends it to C, who sends it to D, who finally sends it to E where I can hear it. The path from A to B to C to D to E would be placed AROUND the communication obstacles and such that no communication has to be long-distance nor through tough obstacles.
If anyone knows of Mirage or TPL or other REPEATERS, please let me know. :)
@AudioShockwav

Last edited:
Well, I connected up the MURS-base antenna to the output of the Btech amplifier and the DakotaAlert antenna-out to the input of the Btech amplifier. When I intentionally trip the DakotaAlert, I get a red TX LED on the amp for about the same amount of time that the alert msg usually plays. HOWEVER, I am not hearing anything at the radio-receiver. Any hints? The antenna is in one room of my house and the radio-receiver in another room. Could the reason for failure be that they are too close ?
Also, I connected the TPL amplifier the same way. It also did not produce sound at the radio-receiver. Since it has no LED's, I don't know if it was getting the input or not...
Any hints?
(When I turn off power to the amp, then I DO hear the alert at the radio-receiver.)

Last edited:
Well, I connected up the MURS-base antenna to the output of the Btech amplifier and the DakotaAlert antenna-out to the input of the Btech amplifier. When I intentionally trip the DakotaAlert, I get a red TX LED on the amp for about the same amount of time that the alert msg usually plays. HOWEVER, I am not hearing anything at the radio-receiver. Any hints? The antenna is in one room of my house and the radio-receiver in another room. Could the reason for failure be that they are too close ?
Also, I connected the TPL amplifier the same way. It also did not produce sound at the radio-receiver. Since it has no LED's, I don't know if it was getting the input or not...
Any hints?
(When I turn off power to the amp, then I DO hear the alert at the radio-receiver.
If the transmit led lights on the amp for the amount of time the alert plays, one would assume it is transmitting.
Try moving it outside, further away, maybe you are overloading the front end of the receiver.

Jeff

Reactions: radiolearner
If the transmit led lights on the amp for the amount of time the alert plays, one would assume it is transmitting.
Try moving it outside, further away, maybe you are overloading the front end of the receiver.

Jeff
I just re-ran the Btech amp at 0.2miles (flat terrain) and roughly 75yards, both with the exact same response (Btech amp indicates it is transmitting, but nothing there is no audio at the radio/receiver.)
Is it possible that DakotaAlert's radio/receiver is designed to unaccept transmissions from amplifiers?

Last edited:
I don't know enough about this Dakota system to say , any amp just takes the input signal and boosts it up, there might be a tone encode system, but it two should pass the amp.
Have you reached out to the manufacturer with questions ?
Do you have a way to check power output and swr?
I have seen your other post regarding ham frequencies, there are legal implications, first you need a license.
Can you explain the end goal with this?
Pictures of the set up?
Are you using 50 ohm coax?
I take it is a driveway alarm system?
Jeff

just googled it, all, shocked the OEM doesn't offer a yagi solution.
Above post mentions my same idea of deploying a yagi to stretch the range.
Looking more into the google results, there are others, that did the same to solve the range issue.

just googled it, all, shocked the OEM doesn't offer a yagi solution.
Above post mentions my same idea of deploying a yagi to stretch the range.
Looking more into the google results, there are others, that did the same to solve the range issue.
Quote:
Although only a 1/2-watt transmitter with a limited range, external antennas can greatly improve the distance at which Dakota Alert sensors can be deployed.
:
At .5 watt input the amp may not be producing anything.
Going off his first post it was over 1 watt output but this changes things.
Accurate info helps.

Jeff

Quote:
Although only a 1/2-watt transmitter with a limited range, external antennas can greatly improve the distance at which Dakota Alert sensors can be deployed.
:
At .5 watt input the amp may not be producing anything.
Going off his first post it was over 1 watt output but this changes things.
Accurate info helps.

Jeff
The manual claims 1.1watts. But, claims could be false. I do not have a power-meter or SWR yet.

Is it possible that DakotaAlert's radio/receiver is designed to unaccept transmissions from amplifiers?
No.

You might want to check your SMA connectors. The distance you are talking about is what is almost practical if you forget to put the antenna on. Something is not making contact.

Last edited:
Have you tried a different receiver? A scanner or a baofeng would work.
I have tried two different DakotaAlert receivers, same model, 538-handheld.
I don't know if a Baofeng can receive 151.82mhz. However, using the below cable, and a UV-5R set on VOX-10, I can "transmit" to a uv-5r radio and send it back out at a frequency of my choosing [within 144-148 or 420-520mhz] (2.5mm plugged into the 538 and 3.5mm plugged into the UV-5R).
Amazon product ASIN B07QLFNKTF

Last edited:
I have tried two different DakotaAlert receivers, same model, 538-handheld.
I don't know if a Baofeng can receive 151.82mhz. However, using the below cable, and a UV-5R set on VOX-10, I can "transmit" to a uv-5r radio and send it back out at a frequency of my choosing [within 144-148 or 420-520mhz] (2.5mm plugged into the 538 and 3.5mm plugged into the UV-5R).
Amazon product ASIN B07QLFNKTF
Ok. If I plug the above UV-5R Baofeng into the Btech amp, then I actually do get some signal in my house (one room to another), through the MURS-base antenna and received at another UV-5R dialed to the same frequency (145mhz) in this case.
What power-meter and SWR-meter do you guys recommend ? (Granted I understand the MURS-base antenna was probably not designed for 145mhz.)

Ok. If I plug the above UV-5R Baofeng into the Btech amp, then I actually do get some signal in my house (one room to another), through the MURS-base antenna and received at another UV-5R dialed to the same frequency (145mhz) in this case.
What power-meter and SWR-meter do you guys recommend ? (Granted I understand the MURS-base antenna was probably not designed for 145mhz.)
If I change the uv-5R receiving-radio frequency to 151.82mhz instead of 145mhz, the voice message is clearer. That's weird; I did not think uv-5R could do ANYTHING at 151.82 as that is not even in its range... And, the other weird thing is that the transmitting uv-5R, still at 145mhz, is not even the same frequency as the receiving uv-5R. Anyway, I only care about getting an alert, not about the clarity of it, just the volume/loudness of it.... (I just wanna get alerted !)
/////////////////////////////////////////////This is what I put in my notes:
Dakota radio cable-wired to uv-5r set at vox-10 and 145mhz.
uv-5r sma'd to rf-in of btech amp. output of btech amp
into murs-base antenna.

receiver uv5-r set at 151.82mhz (!??!?!)

The above cable (radio to radio) is:

Kework 2-Pack 11.8 inch Mini Coiled 3.5mm to 2.5mm Audio Cable,
90 Degree 1/8" 3.5mm TRS Jack Male to 2.5mm TRS Jack Male Stereo
Audio Aux Coiled Cord (3.5mm to 2.5mm)

Amazon product ASIN B07QLFNKTF////////////////////////////////////
Another thing surprising to me is this: At least inside my house, the uv-5R set at 151.82mhz is accepting transmissions directly from the MURS-MAPS sensor. (That is kinda funny since the Dakota radio is $85 and the uv-5R $22.)
In my head I am wondering: "how do I measure the power-output by the MURS-base antenna.")

Last edited:
if the uv5r picks up the signal directly from the murs transmitter, I would assume the murs receiver you are using is messed up. just stick with the uv5r receiver and keep everything on 151.82mhz instead of repeating it on 2m. If you try to use your driveway alarm on the ham bands, you will need to make it identify with your call every so often, so if it works without going on the ham bands, stick with receiving the murs transmitter on the uv5r and just return the receiver or scrap it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.