• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can I make the squelch knob control RF gain

Onthecoast

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 13, 2012
On something like a Uniden 505 that doesn't have RF gain, could I disconnect the existing squelch knob from the squelch control, run the squelch wide open and have the knob control RF gain instead? If I had to choose one, I'd rather have adjustable RF gain. I usually keep squelch all the way open anyway, and RF gain is more valuable to me when in close to strong signals.

With a low end small size radio like that I would just let it be what it is, cheap decent basic light duty performance. To add that to your radio would cost more then the radio did new, waste of time and money. You might consider either a higher end radio or look for a Uniden 520.

I've been thinking of getting one. The idea of having a cheap radio appeals to me besides my Cadillac radios. I would interested in the same mode too. I usually keep my squelch turned down and use my RF gain as my volume control. :whistle:

Last edited:
I thought some of the radios had adjustable pots for receive even if they didn't have rf gain adjustment on the front of the radio.

Okay. You stumped me there. How about some kind of resistance add on circuit manipulated by a extra switch to decrease receive sensitivity?

The whole point is there is no reason to re-engineer a 39 dollar throwaway cb radio.

2 pages of rubbish...
Yes, you can. I have done it before in many radios.
There are two ways to do that.
1. Adjust gain of rf amp transistor.
2. Add attenuator built with PIN diodes.

If you can provide schematic of this radio I can tell you how to do that.
Mike

2 pages of rubbish...
Yes, you can. I have done it before in many radios.
There are two ways to do that.
1. Adjust gain of rf amp transistor.
2. Add attenuator built with PIN diodes.

If you can provide schematic of this radio I can tell you how to do that.
Mike

Well excuse me there MIKE............ so can you do this mod for say ten or fifteen bucks??????????????? Cause if ya can then nuff said, help the guy out. Maybe you can even work a deal out with him on shipping. LOL. Yur right, pointless thread for a 39 dollar radio. But if ya done it on "many radios" then you da man no doubt.

Can you help me out here, I have a great big turd and I want it polished into a nice big diamond!!!!! Can ya do that toooo? Yur my hero no doubt.

Reactions: 2 people
Adjusting gain of first transistor costs nothing in parts, all you need is long enough wire and maybe one or two resistors from the drawer or junk radio.
Pin diode costs 20 US cents in my country, couldn't be much more expensive in America.
Mike

Reactions: 1 person
finding a uniden schematic is next to impossible for this radio. uniden has not put out schematics for years. the old radios they did but not for years now.

Onthecoast asked a simple question without regard for cost. The person that can help figure how to do this will have cracked Uniden's firewall of secrecy and everyone that searches for the same answer will benefit from efforts made here and now. Yes it's a cheap radio but there are those of us who climb the mountain because it's there. Years ago I had an inline attenuator someone gave me. It came in real handy. I used it to track down a deadkey er and once found,stopped their crap. For Onthecoast it means no overloading his radio. If I knew how I would do the mod on a 505 myself but will have to educate myself first.

But for a few dollars more a Uniden can be had that with a RF gain.

Reactions: 1 person
I've been thinking of getting one. The idea of having a cheap radio appeals to me besides my Cadillac radios. I would interested in the same mode too. I usually keep my squelch turned down and use my RF gain as my volume control. :whistle:

I have a Uniden Pro510XL and it's a nice little radio that gets out fine mobil with the stock Mic. I tried to put an echo power mic on the radio and it would just squeal like a stuck piggy...lol A friend bought one and had a guy install an echo board and it sounds great but he told me the speaker has to be removed for it to fit. so thats a deal breaker for me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.